Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Mike Frysinger

Default Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for December

This is your monthly friendly reminder ! Same bat time (typically
the 2nd Thursday at 2000 UTC / 1600 EST), same bat channel
(#gentoo-council @ irc.freenode.net) !

If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
Gentoo dev list to see.

Keep in mind that every GLEP *re*submission to the council for review
must first be sent to the gentoo-dev mailing list 7 days (minimum)
before being submitted as an agenda item which itself occurs 7 days
before the meeting. Simply put, the gentoo-dev mailing list must be
notified at least 14 days before the meeting itself.

For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/

Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Jose Luis Rivero

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 05:45:02AM +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> This is your monthly friendly reminder ! Same bat time (typically
> the 2nd Thursday at 2000 UTC / 1600 EST), same bat channel
> (#gentoo-council @ irc.freenode.net) !
>
> If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
> vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
> Gentoo dev list to see.

The new USE documentation discussion was mailed to the council by
flameeyes after the first posts in gentoo-dev[1], but I'm not sure if
it's really in the agenda so, please, consider it to be discussed.

I would suggest this kind of question based on the different ideas shown
by the developers comunity:

- What is proper way to make changes to ebuild related information
(metadata.dtd)? Do we need a GLEP? It only need to be discussed in -dev
first? Gentoo-doc is who control metadata.dtd?

And depends on the conclusion, please think if the current USE
documentation specified in metadata.xml is consider as final.

Thanks.

P.D: This is not a post to discuss the new USE documentation (again), is
just a request to the council to decide in this area where we
(developers) have different points of view.

[1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_149120.xml

--
Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@gentoo.org>
Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha

Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Josh Saddler

Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
> I would suggest this kind of question based on the different ideas shown
> by the developers comunity:
>
> - What is proper way to make changes to ebuild related information
> (metadata.dtd)? Do we need a GLEP? It only need to be discussed in -dev
> first? Gentoo-doc is who control metadata.dtd?

Eh? News to me. No, we in the GDP don't control it. In viewing the
history [1], I see that neysx did make one commit to it, but that's
because he's a go-to guy for xml/dtd stuff in general, not because this
file is under the sole control of the GDP. We're not the ebuild
developers/writers . . . you are. Granted, we do have commit access to
that part of gentoo/xml/, but we're not the be-all and end-all for
suggested changes to metadata.dtd.

Something the council might want to keep in mind.

[1]
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/dtd/metadata.dtd?rev=1.6&view=log

Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On 01 Dec 2008 05:30:01
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
> vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
> Gentoo dev list to see.

Please give the OK on the following, assuming no objections crop up
before then:

* [RFC] Label profiles with EAPI for compatibility checks (revised)
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_930f58fcebcbbcbe523c001f2c825179.xml

* EAPI change: Call ebuild functions from trusted working directory
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_5ba467bbd5a0820e040210683702a67f.xml

* RFC: DEFINED_PHASES magic metadata variable
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_8c34d8efbc0d31ab28c517403dc83f62.xml

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 14:47 Mon 01 Dec , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Please give the OK on the following, assuming no objections crop up
> before then:
>
> * [RFC] Label profiles with EAPI for compatibility checks (revised)
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_930f58fcebcbbcbe523c001f2c825179.xml
>
> * EAPI change: Call ebuild functions from trusted working directory
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_5ba467bbd5a0820e040210683702a67f.xml
>
> * RFC: DEFINED_PHASES magic metadata variable
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_8c34d8efbc0d31ab28c517403dc83f62.xml

These things, plus updates on the bugs council@ is CC'd on, will compose
our agenda.

FWIW, I'm fine with all 3 of the above.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Mark Loeser

Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> said:
> On 01 Dec 2008 05:30:01
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
> > vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
> > Gentoo dev list to see.
>
> Please give the OK on the following, assuming no objections crop up
> before then:
>
> * [RFC] Label profiles with EAPI for compatibility checks (revised)
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_930f58fcebcbbcbe523c001f2c825179.xml

Looks good to me.

> * EAPI change: Call ebuild functions from trusted working directory
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_5ba467bbd5a0820e040210683702a67f.xml

Ditto.

> * RFC: DEFINED_PHASES magic metadata variable
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_8c34d8efbc0d31ab28c517403dc83f62.xml

Same.

--
Mark Loeser
email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org

Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Tobias Scherbaum

Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 14:47 Mon 01 Dec , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Please give the OK on the following, assuming no objections crop up
> > before then:
> >
> > * [RFC] Label profiles with EAPI for compatibility checks (revised)
> > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_930f58fcebcbbcbe523c001f2c825179.xml
> >
> > * EAPI change: Call ebuild functions from trusted working directory
> > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_5ba467bbd5a0820e040210683702a67f.xml
> >
> > * RFC: DEFINED_PHASES magic metadata variable
> > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_8c34d8efbc0d31ab28c517403dc83f62.xml
>
> These things, plus updates on the bugs council@ is CC'd on, will compose
> our agenda.
>
> FWIW, I'm fine with all 3 of the above.