Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Ryan Hill

Default Moving some packages around

On Mon, 12 May 2008 02:58:55 +0200
flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:

> - bison and flex should get out of the system package set, what
> clearer than moving them out of sys-*? They are not so commonly used
> so there should no compelling reason to have them installed on every
> system;

both are required to build our toolchain.

> - gdb is not part of the system, this might be a problem for
> crossdev...;

it's part of the sourceware tree. i think it should stay in sys.

> sys-devel/patch -> app-text/patch

> sys-devel/gettext -> app-i18n/gettext (well, it's part of system for
> G/FBSD, but I'd rather have deps expressed properly...)

(ok, less so than the one above)

> sys-devel/distcc -> dev-util/distcc
> sys-devel/icecream -> dev-util/icecream

sys-cluster?

> Yes these are a lot of moves, sincerely I think sys-* categories are a
> bit bloated as they are, and I suppose we should start moving the
> things around rather than waiting forever ad ever..

I guess I don't see the point. If you do move them, don't forget about
documentation changes.

--
fonts, gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
mips, treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect

Old 05-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Ryan Hill

On Sun, 11 May 2008 19:46:36 -0600
Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I guess I don't see the point. If you do move them, don't forget
> about documentation changes.

Also consider that people searching for bugs about dev-util/ccache for
example won't find many results.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Marius Mauch

On Mon, 12 May 2008 02:58:55 +0200
flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:

> - bison and flex should get out of the system package set, what
> clearer than moving them out of sys-*?

"system" and the sys-* categories don't have much of a relationsship,
so that's no argument IMO.

> Yes these are a lot of moves, sincerely I think sys-* categories are a
> bit bloated as they are, and I suppose we should start moving the
> things around rather than waiting forever ad ever..

I don't consider that to be a valid reason when looking at the
following numbers:

$ ls -1 /srv/portage/porttree/dev-util/ |wc -l
265
$ ls -1 /srv/portage/porttree/sys-devel/ |wc -l
41

~40 packages isn't much for any category, if you really want to
relocate packages you could just as well eliminate the entire category.

Marius

Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:

>> - bison and flex should get out of the system package set, what
>> clearer than moving them out of sys-*? They are not so commonly
>> used so there should no compelling reason to have them installed on
>> every system;

> both are required to build our toolchain.

A Lexical Analyser and a Parser Generator are also required by
IEEE Std 1003.1 (aka POSIX) as part of the C-Language Development
Utilities.

So it doesn't make much sense to remove flex and bison from system.

Ulrich

Old 05-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

> A Lexical Analyser and a Parser Generator are also required by
> IEEE Std 1003.1 (aka POSIX) as part of the C-Language Development
> Utilities.
>
> So it doesn't make much sense to remove flex and bison from system.

IIRC POSIX mandates vi too, and we don't have that in system.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Ulrich Mueller

>> A Lexical Analyser and a Parser Generator are also required by
>> IEEE Std 1003.1 (aka POSIX) as part of the C-Language Development
>> Utilities.

> IIRC POSIX mandates vi too, and we don't have that in system.

No, it's optional ("User Portability Utilities option", POSIX2_UPE).
"ed" is required by POSIX, though. ;-)

Ulrich