Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Martin Sourada

Default drive-* icons DRAFT

Hi all,

I've made first try of the drive-* icons, so far only 48x48 to get the
basic idea. I attach them. I decided to remade them completely to better
present the metaphors and to be easier to differentiate among them.

Comments welcome,
Martin

Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

harddisk looks like camera, optical and removable are nice

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 00:16 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> harddisk looks like camera, optical and removable are nice

Crap, I totally forgot there are such flat cameras out there... And I
liked it most of the three :*( Anyway, any idea what to do about that?
It's totally different from echo camera-photo [1] icon, but looking at
your comment, it's probably not enough?

Thanks,
Martin

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=echo-icon-theme;a=blob_plain;f=base/48x48/devices/camera-photo.png;hb=HEAD

Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

It may be different from camera icon, but hard drive icon looks
exactly like by canon =)

Old 05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
"Ben Arnold"

On 11/05/2008, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, any idea what to do about that?
> It's totally different from echo camera-photo [1] icon, but looking at
> your comment, it's probably not enough?

I can see where they are coming from - but I think in context and with
details (i.e. the icon could be with the text "Filesystem", "20GB Hard
Disk" etc.) then it would be down to common sense. It is worth
changing though,just to be safe.

I think if it were inset and had a needle, it wouldn't be camera-like?

./b

--
| seawolf |
| Ben Arnold |

Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 23:37 +0100, Ben Arnold wrote:
> I can see where they are coming from - but I think in context and with
> details (i.e. the icon could be with the text "Filesystem", "20GB Hard
> Disk" etc.) then it would be down to common sense. It is worth
> changing though,just to be safe.
>
> I think if it were inset and had a needle, it wouldn't be camera-like?
>
> ./b

Yup, the inset helps (see the attachment). I am not exactly sure what do
you have on mind when speaking about needle... Removing the surface and
showing the inwards, or adding some sort of stand support?

Thanks,
Martin

Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

Now i can clearly see lens =)

Showing plates and reader head inside is good idea

http://scwlab.com

Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 02:15 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> Now i can clearly see lens =)

I wonder... Where on Earth did you see such a camera? Even the hardest I
try I fail to see camera there :-/ (even images.google search showed
nothing like this design...)

> Showing plates and reader head inside is good idea

Probably not, it's not what user sees when he looks on his real
harddisk.

Btw. Does adding screws and inverting the central-part gradient help a
bit?

Martin

Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
"Ben Arnold"

On 12/05/2008, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 23:37 +0100, Ben Arnold wrote:
> > I think if it were inset and had a needle, it wouldn't be camera-like?

> Yup, the inset helps (see the attachment). I am not exactly sure what do
> you have on mind when speaking about needle... Removing the surface and
> showing the inwards, or adding some sort of stand support?

I meant the needle that reads from the magnetic disc; just placing it
outside of the case really, not showing the insides but just hinting
at it.

Perhaps only use the outer circle as to not hae the 'lens' thing too?
The impression of a disc would still be there is it were only the
outline.

Sorry to throw all this work at you but my computer is being very
tempremental so I don't trust it!

./b

Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 01:26 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 02:15 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> > Now i can clearly see lens =)
> >
> I wonder... Where on Earth did you see such a camera? Even the hardest I
> try I fail to see camera there :-/ (even images.google search showed
> nothing like this design...)
>
> > Showing plates and reader head inside is good idea
> >
> Probably not, it's not what user sees when he looks on his real
> harddisk.
>
> Btw. Does adding screws and inverting the central-part gradient help a
> bit?
>
> Martin
And another two tries, one using Ben's suggestion to remove the
lens-like thing...

Martin