Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Michael Hammer

Default app-crypt/kstart License questionable

Hi!

I'd like to add kstart to the tree and have a question to the license
of the package. It's some kind of combination of the MIT License with
a few minor licenses. Should I add the whole license file to the tree?
Here is the link:

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/kstart/license.html

There is a very similar situation on the sys-auth/pam_krb5 package
which is also from Russ Allbery. There we provide not the full license
needed for the package.

g, mueli

______
Michael Hammer / |
GPG-Key-ID: 0x1BA5F0DE \______|
GPG-Fingerprint: ||
8704 11D1 048A 2F24 89D0 6B9E 3EC4 6EDF 1BA5 F0DE ||
phone: +43 (0) 650 86 33 55 8 ||
Graz - AUSTRIA ||
http://www.michael-hammer.at/ michael@derhammer.net ~~

Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 21:10 Fri 09 May , Michael Hammer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to add kstart to the tree and have a question to the license
> of the package. It's some kind of combination of the MIT License with
> a few minor licenses. Should I add the whole license file to the tree?
> Here is the link:
>
> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/kstart/license.html
>
> There is a very similar situation on the sys-auth/pam_krb5 package
> which is also from Russ Allbery. There we provide not the full license
> needed for the package.

It's nicest if you can map each license back to an individual one in the
tree. People generally ignore the build system when doing that. When
doing the licensing thing, the way things seem to go in Gentoo is to get
the actual license language mapped to a license file but ignore any
differences in copyright ownership (e.g., Stanford vs X Consortium).

Thanks,
Donnie