Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Hanno Böck

Default Automagic dependencies in gegl

Hi,

Recently, GIMP got it's first development version based on gegl.

Now, gegl has 13 optional dependencies that could be use-flagged. The pity is,
it has no configure-option for most of them, they are autodetected.
(It's about gtk, ruby, lua, cairo, pango, libpng, openexr, rsvg, sdl,
asciidoc, enscript, graphviz and ffmpeg)

My experience with the gimp developers in the past was that they weren't very
pleased by bugs about automagic deps and I assume if I post them without
patches, they'll get closed immediately. Now I always avoided to dig too deep
into autotools, so I don't feel skilled enough for this task.

Is there some brave gentoo dev (or non-dev, doesn't really matter)
volunteering to send patches to gegl-upstream?

Beside, I'm asking myself how to handle this situation. Hard-enable them all
as long as there are no patches? Let the automagic go in the tree? Opinions
welcome.

--
Hanno Böck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20 Jabber: hanno@hboeck.de

Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 AM

Hanno Böck <hanno@gentoo.org> writes:

> Beside, I'm asking myself how to handle this situation. Hard-enable them all
> as long as there are no patches? Let the automagic go in the tree? Opinions
> welcome.

Automagic has _not_ to come to the tree, so hard-enable them all is the
way.
Have you looked at automagic.xml? It should help you for the task, and
if it doesn't, I can see to extend it.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Luca Barbato

Hanno Böck wrote:
Now, gegl has 13 optional dependencies that could be use-flagged. The pity is,
it has no configure-option for most of them, they are autodetected.
(It's about gtk, ruby, lua, cairo, pango, libpng, openexr, rsvg, sdl,
asciidoc, enscript, graphviz and ffmpeg)

whoah! Quite a large number!.

My experience with the gimp developers in the past was that they weren't very
pleased by bugs about automagic deps and I assume if I post them without
patches, they'll get closed immediately. Now I always avoided to dig too deep
into autotools, so I don't feel skilled enough for this task.

Ping me and we could work out something, probably the best way would be
hack a PKG_CONFIG_CONDITIONAL that does whatever the canned pkgconfig
does+ adding the --enable option.

Is there some brave gentoo dev (or non-dev, doesn't really matter)
volunteering to send patches to gegl-upstream?

We could teamwork having some autostuff monkey doing part of the work,
you helping us trying out the result and whoever has better contact with
upstream could try to get the thing there.

Beside, I'm asking myself how to handle this situation. Hard-enable them all
as long as there are no patches? Let the automagic go in the tree? Opinions
welcome.

Where is the ebuild, put it as is hardmasked with a note about this,
then we could work together on it.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Rémi Cardona

Hanno Böck a écrit :

Recently, GIMP got it's first development version based on gegl.

Sweet

Is there some brave gentoo dev (or non-dev, doesn't really matter)
volunteering to send patches to gegl-upstream?

I would really like to say that I can do it for you, but I'm very time
limited, so my suggestion is to start off with the easy ones (ie, the
ones that use pkg-config).

Do one dependency, (contact me off list so I can help you get it right)
and then it should be pretty easy to copy/paste to do the other ones.
Getting the first one done is the hardest

Beside, I'm asking myself how to handle this situation. Hard-enable them all
as long as there are no patches? Let the automagic go in the tree? Opinions
welcome.

No automagic... that's a big no-no

Cheers,

Rémi

Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> schrieb:

Hi,

> >Now, gegl has 13 optional dependencies that could be use-flagged. The pity
> >is, it has no configure-option for most of them, they are autodetected.

A good example for miserable design ;-P
That's why I everything should be entirely built in sysroot.

> >My experience with the gimp developers in the past was that they weren't
> >very pleased by bugs about automagic deps and I assume if I post them
> >without patches, they'll get closed immediately. Now I always avoided to
> >dig too deep into autotools, so I don't feel skilled enough for this task.
>
> Ping me and we could work out something, probably the best way would be
> hack a PKG_CONFIG_CONDITIONAL that does whatever the canned pkgconfig
> does+ adding the --enable option.

I strongly advise against this. The clean way is to fix the package.
(it's build scripts). I'm doing so in the OSS-QM project, eg. for
Mozilla ...

This actually is one of the typical situations what I invented
OSS-QM for: the upstream produces crap and is even learning resistent.
Doing those cleanups within individual distros is not the right thing,
because a) too much work for the distro maintainer and b) too much
duplicate work, if every distro does it by it's own.

I'd like to invite you to the OSS-QM project - let's do all the
cleanups there and provide overlay by patch, so all distros now
just have to pick their right configure args.

http://oss-qm.metux.de/

cu

Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Luca Barbato

Enrico Weigelt wrote:

[...]

That is the plan, you produce a simple m4 macro that does for you once
and then apply it every time you have a bare pkg check.

I'd like to invite you to the OSS-QM project - let's do all the
cleanups there and provide overlay by patch, so all distros now
just have to pick their right configure args.

http://oss-qm.metux.de/

I'll have a look soon.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Samuli Suominen

Thu, 01 May 2008 13:11:47 +0200
flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) kirjoitti:

> Hanno Böck <hanno@gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > Beside, I'm asking myself how to handle this situation. Hard-enable
> > them all as long as there are no patches? Let the automagic go in
> > the tree? Opinions welcome.
>
> Automagic has _not_ to come to the tree, so hard-enable them all is
> the way.
> Have you looked at automagic.xml? It should help you for the task, and
> if it doesn't, I can see to extend it.

+1