-   -   Last rites: media-fonts/sharefonts (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/78859-last-rites-media-fonts-sharefonts.html)

Ryan Hill 04-29-2008 08:27 PM

Last rites: media-fonts/sharefonts

In bug #218288, it was brought to our attention that
media-fonts/sharefonts, which has been in our tree under a
public-domain LICENSE, is anything but. Each of the fonts in this
collection is released under a variety of restrictive or non-free
licenses, the majority being shareware licenses that require the user
to make payment to the author for continued use (usually $5 after 30
days). Many of these fonts are also crippled with the full version
available for a fee.

As such, I've masked sharefonts for removal in 30 days. There have been
no new releases since it was added to portage in 2002, and no changes
excepting keywording since 2004, so I'm hoping this doesn't impact too
many people. I apologize to those it does.

--
fonts, gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
mips, treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect

Ryan Hill 05-02-2008 01:28 AM

Last rites: media-fonts/sharefonts

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:27:18 -0600
Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:

> In bug #218288, it was brought to our attention that
> media-fonts/sharefonts, which has been in our tree under a
> public-domain LICENSE, is anything but. Each of the fonts in this
> collection is released under a variety of restrictive or non-free
> licenses, the majority being shareware licenses that require the user
> to make payment to the author for continued use (usually $5 after 30
> days). Many of these fonts are also crippled with the full version
> available for a fee.
>
> As such, I've masked sharefonts for removal in 30 days. There have
> been no new releases since it was added to portage in 2002, and no
> changes excepting keywording since 2004, so I'm hoping this doesn't
> impact too many people. I apologize to those it does.

So it seems that Gimp's Script-Fu uses one of the fonts from this
collection. Also, that poopy licenses aren't really a reason to remove
a package. I'm agreeable to that, however a few of the fonts prohibit
distribution in any form without permission of the author. My current
plan is to remove those fonts from the package, add the individual
licenses for the rest to the tree, and add a Here be Dragons msg to to
pkg_setup. Does this seem the correct course of action?