Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Duncan Coutts

Default retirement

Hi folks,

I've decided to retire as a Gentoo dev.

I've been a dev for almost exactly 3 years as part of the Haskell team.
I was team leader for a year or so. I managed to recruit kolmodin a
couple years ago and handed team leadership over to him a few months
ago. It's now his turn to recruit some more people to keep the Haskell
team well staffed.

My decision is based on real world time commitments. I'm in the late
stages of writing up my PhD thesis and I've recently started a Haskell
consultancy company <shameless-plug href="www.well-typed.com"/>. I don't
intend to do much less work packaging but I intend to shift my focus
from Gentoo packaging to the central Haskell packaging infrastructure
http://hackage.haskell.org/. All QA improvements there benefit Gentoo.
I'll still have commit access to the haskell overlay and to the hackport
tool for automatically converting packages hackage->portage. I'll still
be in #gentoo-haskell if you want to find me.

I'd like to thank everyone for being welcoming and friendly and
answering my stupid questions. Thanks especially to the arch teams for
all the time they put in for us in testing and stabilising Haskell
packages on such a wide range of platforms. I feel I should also
apologise to jer for constantly breaking ghc on hppa ;-). Thanks also to
jakub for his work filtering and redirecting bugs to us, along with the
occasional helpful insight.

Best of luck everyone.

--
Duncan Coutts : (ex-)Gentoo Developer (Haskell team)

Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Mike Auty

Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:22:14 +0100
Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Thanks especially to the arch teams for all the time they put in for
> us in testing and stabilising Haskell packages on such a wide range
> of platforms. I feel I should also apologise to jer for constantly
> breaking ghc on hppa ;-).

That's OK. I like to think we were having fun.

Kind regards,
JeR

Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Ingmar Vanhassel

Hello list,

As usual with this kind of mails, this has been long overdue, but it's
about time that I retire from Gentoo.
For a while Gentoo hasn't been going into a direction I like, and to me
it doesn't look like that's about to change any time soon. Despite attempts
to convince me of the contrary, I'm not sure I see the technical
advancements that I'd like happening, in Gentoo. That aside there're
numerous non-technical problems behind the scenes, that most devs
probably acknowledge by now...
There're other projects in the Free-Software world that I currently
enjoy putting my time into more, I'm sure it's more than obvious to those
of you who know me which...

So long,
Ingmar Vanhassel, ex-Gentoo KDE developer.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Bo Ørsted Andresen

My retirement is probably long overdue as I haven't really been active for
several months. It is now clear to me that Gentoo is not moving in the
direction I had wished for and the last council election indicates that most
current Gentoo developers appear to be satisfied with this current direction.
Therefore farewell. If anybody wants to reach me I can be reached at
bo.andresen at zlin.dk.

--
Bo Andresen
Former Gentoo KDE Dev

Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 00:26 Mon 11 Aug , Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> My retirement is probably long overdue as I haven't really been active for
> several months. It is now clear to me that Gentoo is not moving in the
> direction I had wished for and the last council election indicates that most
> current Gentoo developers appear to be satisfied with this current direction.
> Therefore farewell. If anybody wants to reach me I can be reached at
> bo.andresen at zlin.dk.

Adios guys, and thanks for all the work you've put into Gentoo while you
were here! Best of luck on your future endeavors.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 08-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Donnie Berkholz wrote:

My retirement is probably long overdue as I haven't really been active for
several months. It is now clear to me that Gentoo is not moving in the
direction I had wished for and the last council election indicates that most
current Gentoo developers appear to be satisfied with this current direction.
Therefore farewell. If anybody wants to reach me I can be reached at
bo.andresen at zlin.dk.

Adios guys, and thanks for all the work you've put into Gentoo while you
were here! Best of luck on your future endeavors.

They always say that stuff but never bother explaining what the
direction they wish for actually is. As a user I get the impression
that there's some kind of evil Cabal.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 PM
"Denis Dupeyron"

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> They always say that stuff but never bother explaining what the direction
> they wish for actually is. As a user I get the impression that there's some
> kind of evil Cabal.

Most of the Gentoo developer population is made of young males with a
natural tendency to overreaction and suboptimal communication skills
(and I'm not implying it's the case of the original poster). So, if I
were you, I wouldn't bother too much to read in between the lines of
these retirement messages.

Denis.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Duncan

"Denis Dupeyron" <calchan@gentoo.org> posted
7c612fc60808101640l31e7f248ybf9eeba60c5faeeb@mail. gmail.com, excerpted
below, on Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:40:58 +0200:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de>
> wrote:
>> They always say that stuff but never bother explaining what the
>> direction they wish for actually is. As a user I get the impression
>> that there's some kind of evil Cabal.
>
> Most of the Gentoo developer population is made of young males with a
> natural tendency to overreaction and suboptimal communication skills
> (and I'm not implying it's the case of the original poster). So, if I
> were you, I wouldn't bother too much to read in between the lines of
> these retirement messages.

That, and by the time it comes to retirement, one has generally been thru
the arguments several times already, the people that need to know why in
general already do, and there's a feeling it's not worth rehearsing old
positions and bringing up old arguments the one last time. The time for
that has already passed by the time someone's announcing their
retirement, the decision has been made, it's all water under the bridge
now (as the saying goes) and it's time to move on, with a clean break, no
longer blaming anyone or etc as that's what one does /before/ it gets to
this point.

So, indeed, I'm a KDE user here, and it's time to wish them well...

Thanks guys for all the hard work, the product of which I'm running
(still KDE 3.5.9, here) as I type this. Be well, and hope to see you
around the community! There's plenty of projects out there that can use
your help! =8^)

Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 AM
"Alec Warner"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>>
>> On 00:26 Mon 11 Aug , Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
>>>
>>> My retirement is probably long overdue as I haven't really been active
>>> for several months. It is now clear to me that Gentoo is not moving in the
>>> direction I had wished for and the last council election indicates that most
>>> current Gentoo developers appear to be satisfied with this current
>>> direction. Therefore farewell. If anybody wants to reach me I can be reached
>>> at bo.andresen at zlin.dk.
>>
>> Adios guys, and thanks for all the work you've put into Gentoo while you
>> were here! Best of luck on your future endeavors.
>
> They always say that stuff but never bother explaining what the direction
> they wish for actually is. As a user I get the impression that there's some
> kind of evil Cabal.

Despite our best efforts Gentoo is not a fun-loving community where
everyone gets along.
If you want to call the fact that the majority of developers want to
go in direction 'X' a cabal; then so be it.

Many folks are happy at the current pace of development. I imagine
these two folks were frustrated at the lack
of new features in the ebuild spec that were readily available in
kdebuild-1 and decided to move on. More power to them I say.

-Alec