Old 04-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Peter Weller

Default New global USE flag: keyring

Unless anyone has any objections, I'll magically turn 'keyring' into a
global USE flag tomorrow evening:

welp@marx ~/gentoo/cvs/gentoo-x86/profiles $ grep ':keyring'
use.local.desc
app-crypt/seahorse:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
app-text/evince:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
gnome-base/gvfs:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
gnome-extra/evolution-data-server:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support
for storing passwords
media-sound/rhythmbox:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
net-im/gossip:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
net-im/telepathy-mission-control:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support
for storing passwords
net-misc/twitux:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
net-misc/vino:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
passwords
welp@marx ~/gentoo/cvs/gentoo-x86/profiles $

Old 04-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

2008-04-20 16:45:43 Peter Weller napisał(a):
> Unless anyone has any objections, I'll magically turn 'keyring' into a
> global USE flag tomorrow evening:
>
> welp@marx ~/gentoo/cvs/gentoo-x86/profiles $ grep ':keyring'
> use.local.desc
> app-crypt/seahorse:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> app-text/evince:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> gnome-base/gvfs:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> gnome-extra/evolution-data-server:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support
> for storing passwords
> media-sound/rhythmbox:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> net-im/gossip:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> net-im/telepathy-mission-control:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support
> for storing passwords
> net-misc/twitux:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> net-misc/vino:keyring - Enable gnome-keyring support for storing
> passwords
> welp@marx ~/gentoo/cvs/gentoo-x86/profiles $

I object to the name of this USE flag. It should be 'gnome-keyring'.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM
"Alon Bar-Lev"

This may be confusing with Linux key store.
I suggest gnome-something as it is gnome feature.

Alon

Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Ali Polatel

Alon Bar-Lev yazmış:
> I suggest gnome-something as it is gnome feature.

How about gnome-keyring?

Ali Polatel

Old 04-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Peter Weller

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 18:32 +0300, Ali Polatel wrote:
> Alon Bar-Lev yazmış:
> > I suggest gnome-something as it is gnome feature.
>
> How about gnome-keyring?

Why? All the ebuilds currently using the 'keyring' use flag are using it
for gnome-keyring. As long as there is a proper description of the USE
flag, there should be no confusion caused.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:00 PM
"Alon Bar-Lev"

2008/4/20 Peter Weller <welp@gentoo.org>:
> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 18:32 +0300, Ali Polatel wrote:
> > Alon Bar-Lev yazmış:
> > > I suggest gnome-something as it is gnome feature.
> >
> > How about gnome-keyring?
> >

> Why? All the ebuilds currently using the 'keyring' use flag are using it
> for gnome-keyring. As long as there is a proper description of the USE
> flag, there should be no confusion caused.

Because it may be confusing.
As long as it is local flag for gnome packages, the gnome is implicit.
If you want it to be global, gnome should be explicit.

Alon

Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Tiziano Mller

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> 2008/4/20 Peter Weller <welp@gentoo.org>:
>> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 18:32 +0300, Ali Polatel wrote:
>> > Alon Bar-Lev yazm??:
>> >
>> > How about gnome-keyring?
>> >

>> Why? All the ebuilds currently using the 'keyring' use flag are using it
>> for gnome-keyring. As long as there is a proper description of the USE
>> flag, there should be no confusion caused.
>
> Because it may be confusing.
True.

> As long as it is local flag for gnome packages, the gnome is implicit.
> If you want it to be global, gnome should be explicit.
Only in case there are other packages which use a 'keyring' use flag which
means something else than support for gnome-keyring.

I'd say we should convert it to a global use flag now with a good
description and change it to gnome-keyring later in case we really have a
package which needs 'keyring' for something else.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM
"Alon Bar-Lev"

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I'd say we should convert it to a global use flag now with a good
> description and change it to gnome-keyring later in case we really have a
> package which needs 'keyring' for something else.

If we know there may be a future problem, why make the next *VALID*
addition perform extra work? This is gnome specific feature, should
have gnome explicit mark.
If we have keyring in KDE, or keyring in kernel or any other "generic"
keyring. The extra work should be done now, so we have less conflict
in future.

Alon
���^�X�������&j)b� b�

Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Peter Weller

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 18:06 +0200, Tiziano Mller wrote:
> Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> >> Why? All the ebuilds currently using the 'keyring' use flag are using it
> >> for gnome-keyring. As long as there is a proper description of the USE
> >> flag, there should be no confusion caused.
> >
> > Because it may be confusing.
> True.
"Proper description of the USE flag"

> > As long as it is local flag for gnome packages, the gnome is implicit.
> > If you want it to be global, gnome should be explicit.
> Only in case there are other packages which use a 'keyring' use flag which
> means something else than support for gnome-keyring.
>
> I'd say we should convert it to a global use flag now with a good
> description and change it to gnome-keyring later in case we really have a
> package which needs 'keyring' for something else.
I agree with what dev-zero just wrote there.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
"Santiago M. Mola"

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Peter Weller <welp@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 18:06 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
> >
> > I'd say we should convert it to a global use flag now with a good
> > description and change it to gnome-keyring later in case we really have a
> > package which needs 'keyring' for something else.
> I agree with what dev-zero just wrote there.

That's unlikely to happen. When a program needs 'keyring' for
something else, the maintainer will see that 'keyring' is used for
'gnome-keyring' and will choose another name ('foo-keyring').

--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: cooldwind@gmail.com