Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
David Leverton

Default Removing .la files...

On Thursday 19 June 2008 13:08:09 Rémi Cardona wrote:
> David Leverton a écrit :
> > Not for library consumers that use libtool but not pkgconfig.
>
> I'd be in favor of having a _default_ configuration for Gentoo where
> static binaries are never built except for some key packages (mainly for
> rescue situations).
>
> That way, in a dynamic-lib only system, libtool will expand -l<name> to
> <name>.so. Simple and easy.
>
> As Diego and others have been on a crusade to make sure that system libs
> are used instead of bundled libs, static libs should also be outcast.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, as long as there's a way to override it for
people who need to.

> > Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
> > library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully
> > if the library is missing, for example)?
>
> Nothing per se, but I have yet to see any FOSS application dlopen() gtk+
> or libpng.
>
> *None* of the binary distros out there ship .la files by default. Those
> come with -devel packages. Proof that they are (almost) never needed.

Well... the point is that removing them is a (potential) incompatibility with
the package as shipped by upstream. As with the previous point, I suppose I
could tolerate doing it by default, as long as users can choose to install
them if they need.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Olivier Crête

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 14:08 +0200, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> > Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
> > library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if
> > the library is missing, for example)?
>
> Nothing per se, but I have yet to see any FOSS application dlopen() gtk+
> or libpng.

FOSS is the keyword here... the flash plugin dlopens a bunch of stuff

--
Olivier Crête
tester@gentoo.org

Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Mario Fetka

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008 16:22:19 schrieb Olivier Crête:
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 14:08 +0200, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> > > Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a
> > > "normal" library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail
> > > gracefully if the library is missing, for example)?
> >
> > Nothing per se, but I have yet to see any FOSS application dlopen() gtk+
> > or libpng.
>
> FOSS is the keyword here... the flash plugin dlopens a bunch of stuff

also kde-3.5 is using libtools dlopen for plugins

Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Rémi Cardona

Olivier Crête a écrit :

FOSS is the keyword here... the flash plugin dlopens a bunch of stuff

While I haven't checked, I doubt that it uses libltdl to do so

also kde-3.5 is using libtools dlopen for plugins

Yep, but then again, it's for plugins. The real problem is with static
linking : do we want to support it or not. That's the only question.

I for one don't want to support it, none of the higher gnome packages
properly work with it (even though we install both .so and .a libraries).

Rémi

Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:20:10 +0100
David Leverton <levertond@googlemail.com> wrote:

> What's to stop an application from loading a "normal" library using
> libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if the
> library is missing, for example)?

That's a pretty basic definition of a plugin.

JeR

Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Matthias Schwarzott

On Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:20:10 +0100
>
> David Leverton <levertond@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > What's to stop an application from loading a "normal" library using
> > libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if the
> > library is missing, for example)?
>
> That's a pretty basic definition of a plugin.
>

> JeR

As example loading libm.so via dlopen. So I still would not name libm a
plugin.

Regards
Matthias

Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Hi folks,

why not just introducing an "staticlib" useflag:
when disabling this, all the static library stuff is kicked off.

For those libs where the static stuff is needed, just leave it
enabled. And packages which really depend on static libs could
check for the proper useflags.

cu