Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default Removing .la files...

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
> Furthermore, such things should not be decided and pushed through
> unilaterally but be agreed upon here prior to doing this change.
>
> Especially since even though removing .la files might make sense (with
> exceptions, of course) we should think about either doing it
> distribution-wide or not at all.

except that this wont work. the only workable solution is for libraries to
opt-in after having been reviewed to make sure they truly are not needed.
-mike

Old 04-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> libogg and popt are now masked, and they'll wait a bit before return to
> ~arch that way.

please dont leave it like this. revbump both packages in question minus
the .la removal portion. libtool script scuttling is independent of version.
-mike

Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Alexis Ballier

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:18:19 +0200
flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:

> libogg and popt are now masked, and they'll wait a bit before return
> to ~arch that way.

2 months later, any news on this ? I've been using the unmasked
versions so long; are we going to wait forever ? It's probably better
to unmask it or revert the change at this point.

Alexis.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Luca Barbato

Alexis Ballier wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:18:19 +0200
libogg and popt are now masked, and they'll wait a bit before return
to ~arch that way.

2 months later, any news on this ? I've been using the unmasked
versions so long; are we going to wait forever ? It's probably better
to unmask it or revert the change at this point.

We could either pick a week and do a major ebuild update to remove .la
files when unnecessary or just append a notice about revdep rebuild.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
David Leverton

On Thursday 19 June 2008 08:51:15 Luca Barbato wrote:
> We could either pick a week and do a major ebuild update to remove .la
> files when unnecessary or just append a notice about revdep rebuild.

How do you decide when they're unnecessary?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Luca Barbato

David Leverton wrote:

We could either pick a week and do a major ebuild update to remove .la
files when unnecessary or just append a notice about revdep rebuild.

How do you decide when they're unnecessary?

.la are used for :

1 getting static libraries (pkg-config replaces this use)
2 load plugins using libtool support

if you have a pkg-config and you aren't building plugins you can do
w/out them.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
David Leverton

On Thursday 19 June 2008 10:36:12 Luca Barbato wrote:
> 1 getting static libraries (pkg-config replaces this use)

Not for library consumers that use libtool but not pkgconfig.

> 2 load plugins using libtool support

Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if
the library is missing, for example)?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Luca Barbato

David Leverton wrote:

1 getting static libraries (pkg-config replaces this use)

Not for library consumers that use libtool but not pkgconfig.

2 load plugins using libtool support

Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if
the library is missing, for example)?

Corner cases as usual...

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member

Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 AM
David Leverton

On Thursday 19 June 2008 11:39:44 Luca Barbato wrote:
> Corner cases as usual...

What's that supposed to mean?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Rémi Cardona

David Leverton a écrit :

Not for library consumers that use libtool but not pkgconfig.

I'd be in favor of having a _default_ configuration for Gentoo where
static binaries are never built except for some key packages (mainly for
rescue situations).

That way, in a dynamic-lib only system, libtool will expand -l<name> to
<name>.so. Simple and easy.

As Diego and others have been on a crusade to make sure that system libs
are used instead of bundled libs, static libs should also be outcast.

Why only plugins? What's to stop an application from loading a "normal"
library using libtool's dlopen wrapper (perhaps so it can fail gracefully if
the library is missing, for example)?

Nothing per se, but I have yet to see any FOSS application dlopen() gtk+
or libpng.

*None* of the binary distros out there ship .la files by default. Those
come with -devel packages. Proof that they are (almost) never needed.

And if an application chooses to dlopen() gtk+ or libpng, the ELF
headers contain all the dependencies, so the actual content of the .la
file is also useless in that case.

Cheers

Rémi