Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Rich Freeman

Default Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> sounds like we should extend the profiles.desc file or profile structure to
> include a description so that people know the intention of each one. the only
> marker we had before was implicitly in the name (".../server" and
> ".../desktop").

++

This seems like a common problem I run into with software at work.
Everybody knows what the purpose of the application is, the problem is
that no two people agree on it.

Defining the reason something exists usually makes everything else
fairly obvious.

Rich

Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Zac Medico

On 10/14/2012 09:22 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> sounds like we should extend the profiles.desc file or profile structure to
> include a description so that people know the intention of each one. the only
> marker we had before was implicitly in the name (".../server" and
> ".../desktop").

Maybe put a metadata.xml file in the profile directory. Then you can
list the description, maintainer, and anything else you want in there.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 15 October 2012 11:20:19 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 10/14/2012 09:22 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > sounds like we should extend the profiles.desc file or profile structure
> > to include a description so that people know the intention of each one.
> > the only marker we had before was implicitly in the name (".../server"
> > and ".../desktop").
>
> Maybe put a metadata.xml file in the profile directory. Then you can
> list the description, maintainer, and anything else you want in there.

SGTM. then we just update eselect to parse that if it's available.
-mike