Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Sergey Popov

Default New desktop subproject: desktop-effects

It's my pleasure to announce a new desktop's subproject: desktop-effects.
The goal of this project is to maintain compiz and other 3D window managers.

Actually there is a herd with same name for a some years, but herd maintainers
was inactive and compiz was masked.
I think that such kind of software must have better support in Gentoo, that's
why i decide to start a project(permission on this was granted by jmbsvicetto, who
took care about compiz for a quite long time).

First of all, project will be focused on supporting compiz in actual state.
For now it will be 0.8.x branch, because 0.9.x is quite unstable
(but it is already in our project's overlay, so feel free to build and test it).

Also we are always look for some cool stuff, which brings nice 3D and compositing features
into Gentoo Linux desktop.

More information about this project is at
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/effects/index.xml

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo Linux Developer