-   -   Discussing stuff that is not appropriate to discuss (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/708914-discussing-stuff-not-appropriate-discuss.html)

Peter Stuge 10-01-2012 09:41 PM

Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Honestly, this whole thread, with the exception of Rafael, makes me
> facepalm incredibly, because everybody is saying "it's easy!"
> without asking the people who have done the work up to now and will
> have to manage it.

Noone said it's easy.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Several said it needs to just-be-done, without further consensus.
I support that. Everyone also agrees that there will be issues, but
I think the idea is that switching sooner rather than later and
fixing up the bits that break is fine. Even if it takes a while.

> And it pisses me off.

It shouldn't. There may be others on the list besides Gentoo infra
who know a thing or two about infrastructure, operations, CVS, Git,
and so on.

> most of the complains about the way tinderbox's logs are handled

I have no idea about that issue, but it seems quite distinct.

> So to close this in a few words: You walk the walk, you talk the talk.

That's bullshit (and the saying is backwards). I could help out, I
know a couple of infra guys, but I can't even get recruited because
quizzes need too much contiguous time out of my schedule..

//Peter

Peter Stuge 10-01-2012 10:21 PM

Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> With all due respect,
..
> you calling for shutdown dates
..
> is obnoxious.

I don't know about respectful, but oh well..

Another idea I have, besides the go-ahead+fix what breaks, is that
after everything has broken, Gentoo developers will not be spamming
this mailing list like three-year-olds screaming rude complaints
about how things do not work and calling infra bad names, but that
they will actually *help out* with whatever needs fixing.

Gentoo has a whole bunch of very competent developers in many
different areas, including yourself of course!, and I'm pretty sure
that there is no better way to get everything fixed *fast* than to
simply go-ahead. Some (of course not all, and that's fine too) devs
would surely get involved to help out with whatever issues need to
be solved.

//Peter

Peter Stuge 10-01-2012 10:53 PM

Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> > Another idea I have, besides the go-ahead+fix what breaks, is that
> > after everything has broken, Gentoo developers will not be spamming
> > this mailing list like three-year-olds screaming rude complaints
> > about how things do not work and calling infra bad names, but that
> > they will actually *help out* with whatever needs fixing.
>
> Then you probably don't know half the Gentoo developers....

I think they are the ones who should fork. :)

//Peter