Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Peter Stuge

Default CIA replacement

Ben de Groot wrote:
> The -commits ML is okay (tho I don't want to subscribe to such a
> high-volume ML), but we miss an IRC interface. The website and
> statistics of cia.vc were nice too.

What is the source data, and what does the desired output look like?

(I mean what should the messages in channel look like.)

//Peter

Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Ben de Groot

On 2 October 2012 23:56, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Ben de Groot wrote:
>> The -commits ML is okay (tho I don't want to subscribe to such a
>> high-volume ML), but we miss an IRC interface. The website and
>> statistics of cia.vc were nice too.
>
> What is the source data, and what does the desired output look like?
>
> (I mean what should the messages in channel look like.)

We used to have it like this:

<CIA-5> tetromino * gentoo-x86/x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard/ (7 files):
<CIA-5> Version bump for gtk+-3.6; high contrast and low contrast
themes are no longer provided. Make license more precise..
<CIA-5> (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha132/cvs/Linux x86_64)
<CIA-5> ssuominen * gentoo-x86/xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager/ (3
files in 2 dirs):
<CIA-5> Fix crash with en_GB locale wrt #419973 by Ciprian Ciubotariu
<CIA-5> (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha128/cvs/Linux x86_64)
<CIA-5> mr_bones_ * gentoo-x86/games-roguelike/falconseye/ (5 files in
2 dirs): games-roguelike/falconseye is gone
<CIA-5> mr_bones_ * gentoo-x86/profiles/package.mask:
games-roguelike/falconseye is gone
<CIA-5> tetromino proj/gnome:master * r78959387
/dev-util/gdbus-codegen/ (gdbus-codegen-9999.ebuild
gdbus-codegen-2.33.14.ebuild): dev-util/gdbus-codegen: 2.34.0 now in
gx86

So basically:

$committer $repo $path:
$changelog

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin

Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Peter Stuge

Ben de Groot wrote:
> > What is the source data,

Still unanswered. I'll ask something which would be equally helpful:

Where is the software that currently sends out emails to the -commits list?

> > and what does the desired output look like?
>
> <CIA-5> tetromino * gentoo-x86/x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard/ (7 files):
> <CIA-5> Version bump for gtk+-3.6; high contrast and low contrast
> themes are no longer provided. Make license more precise..
> <CIA-5> (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha132/cvs/Linux x86_64)
> <CIA-5> ssuominen * gentoo-x86/xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager/ (3
> files in 2 dirs):
> <CIA-5> Fix crash with en_GB locale wrt #419973 by Ciprian Ciubotariu
> <CIA-5> (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha128/cvs/Linux x86_64)
..
> <CIA-5> tetromino proj/gnome:master * r78959387
> /dev-util/gdbus-codegen/ (gdbus-codegen-9999.ebuild
> gdbus-codegen-2.33.14.ebuild): dev-util/gdbus-codegen: 2.34.0 now in
> gx86
>
> So basically:
>
> $committer $repo $path:
> $changelog

Well it's more complicated, but thanks for the sample output!

//Peter

Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Jeroen Roovers

Responding to no one in particular, but to the sub-thread about IRC
bots:

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:32:26 +0200
Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 02-10-2012 12:40:20 +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
> > The irker proxy was mentioned in this thread. I think we should look
> > into this. Unless someone has a better idea.
>
> I think it might be more beneficial to try and relay -commits email to
> irc.

An IRC bot is nice, but CIA also provided current (!) statistics, which
isn't merely useful in order to boost your own morale/ego/self-esteem,
but also provided up to date information about other developers'
activity, which can help other developers decide if and when to step in
and start (temporarily) maintaining packages that need immediate
attention. ohloh cannot do that for us, presently, and a simple IRC
bot cannot either.

jer

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM
"Anthony G. Basile"

Responding to no one in particular, but to the sub-thread about IRC
bots:

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:32:26 +0200
The irker proxy was mentioned in this thread. I think we should look
into this. Unless someone has a better idea.

I think it might be more beneficial to try and relay -commits email to
irc.

An IRC bot is nice, but CIA also provided current (!) statistics, which
isn't merely useful in order to boost your own morale/ego/self-esteem,
but also provided up to date information about other developers'
activity, which can help other developers decide if and when to step in
and start (temporarily) maintaining packages that need immediate
attention. ohloh cannot do that for us, presently, and a simple IRC
bot cannot either.

jer

jer thanks for saying that. That's exactly how I was using CIA. Now
I'm just using the gentoo-commits@ list which gives the same info but
requires more sorting effort on my brain.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Responding to no one in particular, but to the sub-thread about IRC
> bots:
>
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:32:26 +0200
> Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 02-10-2012 12:40:20 +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> > The irker proxy was mentioned in this thread. I think we should look
>> > into this. Unless someone has a better idea.
>>
>> I think it might be more beneficial to try and relay -commits email to
>> irc.
>
> An IRC bot is nice, but CIA also provided current (!) statistics, which
> isn't merely useful in order to boost your own morale/ego/self-esteem,
> but also provided up to date information about other developers'
> activity, which can help other developers decide if and when to step in
> and start (temporarily) maintaining packages that need immediate
> attention. ohloh cannot do that for us, presently, and a simple IRC
> bot cannot either.

Bouncing over to -scm list. Maybe this can be implemented in a post-commit hook.

--
:wq

Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Ben de Groot

On 3 October 2012 00:51, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Ben de Groot wrote:
>> > What is the source data,
>
> Still unanswered. I'll ask something which would be equally helpful:
>
> Where is the software that currently sends out emails to the -commits list?

I don't know, but I assume it's a commit hook in our CVS repository.
Someone from infra should be able to shed more light on that.

>> > and what does the desired output look like?
>>
>> <CIA-5> tetromino * gentoo-x86/x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard/ (7 files):
>> <CIA-5> Version bump for gtk+-3.6; high contrast and low contrast
>> themes are no longer provided. Make license more precise..
>> <CIA-5> (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha132/cvs/Linux x86_64)
>> <CIA-5> ssuominen * gentoo-x86/xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager/ (3
>> files in 2 dirs):
>> <CIA-5> Fix crash with en_GB locale wrt #419973 by Ciprian Ciubotariu
>> <CIA-5> (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha128/cvs/Linux x86_64)
> ..
>> <CIA-5> tetromino proj/gnome:master * r78959387
>> /dev-util/gdbus-codegen/ (gdbus-codegen-9999.ebuild
>> gdbus-codegen-2.33.14.ebuild): dev-util/gdbus-codegen: 2.34.0 now in
>> gx86
>>
>> So basically:
>>
>> $committer $repo $path:
>> $changelog
>
> Well it's more complicated, but thanks for the sample output!

Yeah, but we don't need an exact replica. Just a quick way to see who
committed what where, and the changelog message.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 AM
Ben de Groot

On 3 October 2012 08:21, Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Responding to no one in particular, but to the sub-thread about IRC
> bots:
>
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:32:26 +0200
> Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 02-10-2012 12:40:20 +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> > The irker proxy was mentioned in this thread. I think we should look
>> > into this. Unless someone has a better idea.
>>
>> I think it might be more beneficial to try and relay -commits email to
>> irc.
>
> An IRC bot is nice, but CIA also provided current (!) statistics, which
> isn't merely useful in order to boost your own morale/ego/self-esteem,
> but also provided up to date information about other developers'
> activity, which can help other developers decide if and when to step in
> and start (temporarily) maintaining packages that need immediate
> attention. ohloh cannot do that for us, presently, and a simple IRC
> bot cannot either.

Indeed. I mentioned that in passing as well (that their website was
useful), and you explain why.

I don't think any of the replacement options I've seen have this
feature. Does anyone know of something that might offer us this? Or
should we develop something in-house?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Jeroen Roovers

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 11:43:09 +0800
Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I don't think any of the replacement options I've seen have this
> feature. Does anyone know of something that might offer us this? Or
> should we develop something in-house?

AFAIK some devrel related group already has some tool running that
checks how long developers have been inactive (on our source code
repositories). I don't think that information is disclosed publicly at
this point, whereas CIA clearly did that publicly.

jer

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Duncan

Jeroen Roovers posted on Wed, 03 Oct 2012 06:45:48 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 11:43:09 +0800 Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think any of the replacement options I've seen have this
>> feature. Does anyone know of something that might offer us this? Or
>> should we develop something in-house?
>
> AFAIK some devrel related group already has some tool running that
> checks how long developers have been inactive (on our source code
> repositories). I don't think that information is disclosed publicly at
> this point, whereas CIA clearly did that publicly.

Undertakers.

(Watching that and closing unused accounts does keep them from hanging
around to be discovered by the bad guys.)