Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Ian Stakenvicius

Default Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass

On 29/09/12 10:26 AM, hasufell wrote:
> On 09/29/2012 04:19 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:

>>> What are the reasons to change the API in the first place?
>>> There has to be a good reason, cause this will involve yet
>>> another migration of many ebuilds. I don't see any bugreports.
>
>>> I fear this will cause more confusion, i.e. some ebuilds using
>>> the old distutils, some using python-distutils-ng and some
>>> using distutils-r1 resulting in weird tree behavior.
>

>> Given that at present, distutils-r1 and python-distutils-ng have
>> identical end-results, I think that the introduction of
>> distutils-r1 to the tree should also involve a sed against all
>> the existing ebuilds using python-distutils-ng to move them to
>> the new eclass. Then python-distutils-ng only needs to remain to
>> support overlays.
>

> That still does not explain the reasons why this work was
> initiated.
>
> If there is any way to fix the current eclass, that should be
> preferred.

There isn't so much a problem with the current python-distutils-ng
eclass but rather it's to expand it to a more comprehensive
replacement for both distutils and python eclasses. In order to do
that efficiently, most of the core functionality should be moved so
that the new distutils is more like a wrapper to the new python.

This could certainly be done by patching the existing eclass, but
mgorny wants to use new eclass names instead of keeping the current
one. Hence the rename. I think that's about it..

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM
hasufell

Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 PM
hasufell

Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Ian Stakenvicius

Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
hasufell

Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:49:32 +0200
hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/29/2012 12:49 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:20:31 +0100 Markos Chandras
> > <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Are you saying that you are going to remove the
> >> python-distutils-ng eclass in favour of the new eclasses? I don't
> >> quite understand the reasons to be honest.
> >
> > The reason is simple -- I can't fix it without changing the API.
> > Changing the API on a live eclass is confusing, and considering
> > that it is not used by many packages, it's easier to lastrite it.
> >
> > Also, this fixes the name not to have any '-ng' nor '-ds9'.
> >

> What are the reasons to change the API in the first place? There has
> to be a good reason, cause this will involve yet another migration of
> many ebuilds. I don't see any bugreports.

I have pointed out what changes to the API are _necessary_ to introduce
a good eclass on gentoo-python@.

Otherwise, the eclass would have to have at least two almost identical
functions doing the same thing, one universal and one for specific case
where specific parameters are passed (and not used in a single ebuild).

> I fear this will cause more confusion, i.e. some ebuilds using the old
> distutils, some using python-distutils-ng and some using distutils-r1
> resulting in weird tree behavior.

[example needed]

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:37:15 +0200
Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM, hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > That still does not explain the reasons why this work was initiated.
> >
> > If there is any way to fix the current eclass, that should be preferred.
>
> I tend to agree. Michał, let me first say I value the time you have
> invested to make the eclasses better. However, at this point I have a
> strong feeling that we have more people willing to write code to fix
> things than we have people building consensus on what
> features/policies/mechanisms we need to make it easy to write
> high-quality ebuilds for Python/distutils. I would prefer discussions
> on problems that the current ebuilds have and discussions on how to
> solve them, not at the code level, but that the mechanism level.

The main issue: noone wants to even touch python.eclass or anything
nearby.

The second issue: python-distutils-ng isn't good enough. It has too
many things hard-wired. I think I have already pointed enough problems
with it. Not that many people cared to respond.

It's sad that people don't care to respond when you point the issues
out but then complain when you do something to fix them.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 09-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:45:07 +0200
hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/29/2012 05:37 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> >
> > There isn't so much a problem with the current python-distutils-ng
> > eclass but rather it's to expand it to a more comprehensive
> > replacement for both distutils and python eclasses. In order to
> > do that efficiently, most of the core functionality should be moved
> > so that the new distutils is more like a wrapper to the new
> > python.
> >
> > This could certainly be done by patching the existing eclass, but
> > mgorny wants to use new eclass names instead of keeping the
> > current one. Hence the rename. I think that's about it..
> >

> In that case we are missing 95% of the features of python.eclass.

Please list the features. Preferably, order them by usefulness, with
exact use cases.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Pacho Ramos

El sáb, 29-09-2012 a las 20:40 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:45:07 +0200
> hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > On 09/29/2012 05:37 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> > >
> > > There isn't so much a problem with the current python-distutils-ng
> > > eclass but rather it's to expand it to a more comprehensive
> > > replacement for both distutils and python eclasses. In order to
> > > do that efficiently, most of the core functionality should be moved
> > > so that the new distutils is more like a wrapper to the new
> > > python.
> > >
> > > This could certainly be done by patching the existing eclass, but
> > > mgorny wants to use new eclass names instead of keeping the
> > > current one. Hence the rename. I think that's about it..
> > >

> > In that case we are missing 95% of the features of python.eclass.
>
> Please list the features. Preferably, order them by usefulness, with
> exact use cases.

Personally, I usually run:
- python_clean_py-compile_files -> Clean py-compile files to disable
byte-compilation allowing us to drop all various ways of doing this that
were living in the tree some time ago.
- python_convert_shebangs -> but, I guess this is handled in a different
way in your eclass, no? :/