-   -   How to raise money for Gentoo (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/707828-how-raise-money-gentoo.html)

Michael Mol 09-27-2012 01:37 PM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM, wbrana <wbrana@gmail.com> wrote:
> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
> "Donate to support our development efforts."
> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.

I run a technical website with around 6k visits per day, and my
experience is that ads which aren't irritating and annoying don't pay
much. I had an almost-nice experience with Text-Link-Ads, but they
have a manual URL submission and approval process, and they turned
down my most-trafficked pages.

The other recurring difficulty I've had is finding an ad network which
comprehends technical markets. Since I can't find an ad network which
runs ads relevant to my users, I don't show ads.

--
:wq

Alec Warner 09-27-2012 01:45 PM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM, wbrana <wbrana@gmail.com> wrote:
> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
> "Donate to support our development efforts."
> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.

You already filed a bug against infra / www asking for this, and we
told you that we would not do that.

http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/cash-sponsors-policy.xml covers
the ad policy. It is not clear to me if adding more paypal links would
actually help us. Paypal revenue seems based more on our popularity
and activity as a whole. Feel free to discuss revenue ideas on
gentoo-nfp@lists.gentoo.org

-A

Dale 09-27-2012 02:11 PM

wbrana wrote:
> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
> "Donate to support our development efforts."
> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.

My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
more funds to support itself?

Dale

:-) :-)

Alec Warner 09-27-2012 02:29 PM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> wbrana wrote:
>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
>>

> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
> more funds to support itself?

On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
(infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)

Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
advertising.

We primarily get money from Paypal and Google Summer of Code.

-A

Michael Mol 09-27-2012 02:35 PM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> wbrana wrote:
>>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
>>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
>>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
>>>

>> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
>> more funds to support itself?
>
> On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
> spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
> (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
>
> Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
> report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
> Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
> those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
> require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
> spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
> advertising.

Could some of the money be spent on bug bounties?

[snip]

--
:wq

Alec Warner 09-27-2012 02:42 PM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>>

>>> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
>>> more funds to support itself?
>>
>> On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
>> spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
>> (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
>>
>> Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
>> report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
>> Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
>> those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
>> require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
>> spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
>> advertising.
>
> Could some of the money be spent on bug bounties?

You want gentoo-nfp@, not this list. I'm trying to move the discussion
there. Go visit the foundation webpages I linked to earlier. Funding
requests are pretty easy to write...

-A

Michael Mol 09-27-2012 02:54 PM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
>>> spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
>>> (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
>>>
>>> Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
>>> report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
>>> Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
>>> those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
>>> require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
>>> spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
>>> advertising.
>>
>> Could some of the money be spent on bug bounties?
>
> You want gentoo-nfp@, not this list. I'm trying to move the discussion
> there. Go visit the foundation webpages I linked to earlier. Funding
> requests are pretty easy to write...

kk. I'll stop adding noise to this list on this topic. :)

--
:wq

Dale 09-27-2012 06:31 PM

Alec Warner wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> wbrana wrote:
>>> Page www.gentoo.org asks for donations
>>> "Donate to support our development efforts."
>>> Gentoo could get more money if all *.gentoo.org would contain advertisements.
>>>

>> My questions are this: Does Gentoo need more money? Is it in need of
>> more funds to support itself?
> On a yearly basis, we take in more money than we spend. We primarily
> spend money on fees (legal, accountant, etc) and funding requests
> (infra hardware, requests from foundation members.)
>
> Its all on http://foundation.gentoo.org if you are curious. The 2011
> report notes that we have approximately $70,000 USD in funds. Some
> Gentoo developers want to do more conference-type events. However
> those typically come with much higher budgets than our funds and
> require sponsors to make happen. Without clearer goals on what to
> spend the money on, I can't really see the need to increase our
> advertising.
>
> We primarily get money from Paypal and Google Summer of Code.
>
> -A
>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
>> --
>> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

Thanks for the answer. If Gentoo ever gets to a point where it needs
funds to maintain itself, I would like a dev to post to the user mailing
list. I'm certain we could donate if we know there is a need. I
certainly would and I'm sure others would too.

Dale

:-) :-)