Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Brian Harring

Default eutils: Warn on built_with_use usage

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 02:35:42PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 08:45:22AM +0200, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
>
> > > Almost all affected packages can be bumped straight to 4 anyway and
> > > so use the improved syntax.
>
> toolchain_src_compile: EAPI=0: count: 38
>
> I'm not sure this can change any time soon. :/

Honestly, if it was knocked down to <50 left in the tree, I'd be fine
with it.

Once reaching that level, the following could be done:

1) mangling built_with_use adding a an explicit whitelist of callers,
making everything else a die.
2) keep the existing /var/db/pkg format aware code in place.
3) Expand the function w/ manager aware code as necessary to deal w/
said managers potentially shifting to new vdb forms.

I doubt ciaran will like #3, but if we can get it down to .15% of the
tree at that point pragmatism should rule the day; as long as the PM
has alternate ways to query the info without accessing the VDB
directly (even if those ways are outside PMS), I'm fine with it, and I
expect most folk would be.

~harring

Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Ryan Hill

--
gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets we were never more here, expanse getting broader

Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday 16 September 2012 22:41:14 Brian Harring wrote:
> Sans the implementation details, anyone got complaints with the
> intent?

sounds like no, so i'll probably pound something out once i finish perf
-mike