Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina"

Default DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"

I have a personal vendetta on this subject. Several eclasses set a
completely worthless description (and even more set a mostly worthless
DESCRIPTION) which ends up contaminating the DESCRIPTION for an ebuild
when inherit is done after DESCRIPTION is set.

I realize that most of you will find this a little pedantic, however, I
find that needing to move my DESCRIPTION to below the inherit often
severely affects the readability of the ebuild, and all to avoid a
completely (or nearly) worthless DESCRIPTION from contaminating my
environment.

In my opinion, the text "# @DESCRIPTION" in an eclass is more than
enough for readability, and setting DESCRIPTION only serves to
contaminate the environment. The is especially true for the following
eclasses that set the DESCRIPTION from the subject:

ozzie eclass # grep 'DESCRIPTION="Based on the ' *.eclass
cannadic.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
confutils.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
embassy.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
eutils.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
games.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
gnatbuild.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
gnuconfig.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
libtool.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
linux-mod.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
nsplugins.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
perl-module.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
qmail.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
toolchain-funcs.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"

Although these are the ones that make me the most unhappy, I see no
purpose for setting DESCRIPTION in any eclass as it really serves no
purpose to source the eclass then source the ebuild 0.01s later and
overwrite the DESCRIPTION. Fixing this is not difficult, unlikely to
affect anything, but will help avoid one tiny little annoyance that
really looks like a relic from a time long long ago.

Thanks for the consideration

- -Zero

Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 PM
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina"

Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Michał Górny

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:18:16 -0400
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 04:56 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:51:54 -0400
> > "Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> I have a personal vendetta on this subject. Several eclasses set a
> >> completely worthless description (and even more set a mostly
> >> worthless DESCRIPTION) which ends up contaminating the DESCRIPTION
> >> for an ebuild when inherit is done after DESCRIPTION is set.
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/
> >
> >> I realize that most of you will find this a little pedantic,
> >> however, I find that needing to move my DESCRIPTION to below the
> >> inherit often severely affects the readability of the ebuild, and
> >> all to avoid a completely (or nearly) worthless DESCRIPTION from
> >> contaminating my environment.
> >
> > You want your inherit line to be as near as the top as possible. The
> > only things you should have before the inherit line are EAPI and any
> > variables used by eclasses to determine behaviour.
> >

> I have a nasty habit of writing ebuilds to be both live and versioned
> which requires me to test ${PV} then set things like inherit VCS,
> SRC-URI, and KEYWORDS below. The large if block looks better in my
> opinion below the settings which are the same for all versions, rather
> than in the middle.
>
> Yes, it's a readability issue, but the point is, this shouldn't be an
> issue at all.

Use unifdef. Look at my overlay, and my ebuilds in the tree.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina"

On 09/14/2012 05:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:18:16 -0400
> "Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> On 09/14/2012 04:56 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>>>
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/

>>> You want your inherit line to be as near as the top as possible. The
>>> only things you should have before the inherit line are EAPI and any
>>> variables used by eclasses to determine behaviour.
>>>

>> I have a nasty habit of writing ebuilds to be both live and versioned
>> which requires me to test ${PV} then set things like inherit VCS,
>> SRC-URI, and KEYWORDS below. The large if block looks better in my
>> opinion below the settings which are the same for all versions, rather
>> than in the middle.
>>
>> Yes, it's a readability issue, but the point is, this shouldn't be an
>> issue at all.
>
> Use unifdef. Look at my overlay, and my ebuilds in the tree.

So just so we are clear, everyone but me thinks that DESCRIPTION="Based
on the ${ECLASS} eclass" is a completely useful and critically required
piece of code?

That is really what this boils done to, it isn't. Seriously, I've read
some worthless code in my day and written a lot more of it, but this is
something that is completely unneeded and causes extra work maintaining
the tree. We could extend repoman to detect when an eclass description
is polluting an ebuild, OR we could remove the completely useless code.

If give the choice between "Clean the code and it works right" or "Hack
around the solution and write extra code to detect when you need to hack
around the solution" you can clearly imagine where I sit.

If anyone wants to explain to me why that DESCRIPTION line is so
critical that it must exist yet not important enough to put something
worthwhile in I'm all ears. Until that point I'll probably keep bringing
this up.

Thanks,
Zero

Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
> I have a personal vendetta on this subject. Several eclasses set a
> completely worthless description (and even more set a mostly worthless
> DESCRIPTION) which ends up contaminating the DESCRIPTION for an ebuild
> when inherit is done after DESCRIPTION is set.

looks like you've already triaged the bug. fix the ebuilds.
-mike

Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Mike Gilbert

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
<zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:
> So just so we are clear, everyone but me thinks that DESCRIPTION="Based
> on the ${ECLASS} eclass" is a completely useful and critically required
> piece of code?

I don't think anyone really cares, and it doesn't seem like anyone is
going to get in your way if you want to remove it. Maybe ping each
maintainer, and proceed if they don't object.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Michał Górny

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 05:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:18:16 -0400

> >> I have a nasty habit of writing ebuilds to be both live and
> >> versioned which requires me to test ${PV} then set things like
> >> inherit VCS, SRC-URI, and KEYWORDS below. The large if block
> >> looks better in my opinion below the settings which are the same
> >> for all versions, rather than in the middle.
> >>
> >> Yes, it's a readability issue, but the point is, this shouldn't be
> >> an issue at all.
> >
> > Use unifdef. Look at my overlay, and my ebuilds in the tree.
> >

> So just so we are clear, everyone but me thinks that
> DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass" is a completely useful
> and critically required piece of code?

No. We agree with you that it is useless but you are saying that with
a *completely* wrong reasoning.

> Until that point I'll probably keep bringing this up.

Don't forget to threaten us that you'll leave Gentoo.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Sergei Trofimovich

Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Kent Fredric

On 15 September 2012 08:51, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
<zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:
> ozzie eclass # grep 'DESCRIPTION="Based on the ' *.eclass
> cannadic.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
> confutils.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> embassy.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
> eutils.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> games.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> gnatbuild.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> gnuconfig.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> libtool.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> linux-mod.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
> nsplugins.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> perl-module.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the $ECLASS eclass"
> qmail.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
> toolchain-funcs.eclassESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"

+1.

There's no use cases I know of where having a description as such is useful.

Either the Eclass should be able to provide a useful DESCRIPTION for
each and every derived ebuild, or it should provide none at all.

Maybe the Eclass has a translation from $P to $DESCRIPTION somehow
that is useful, but "Based on the ECLASS eclass" is about as useful as
DESCRIPTION="An EAPI $EAPI Ebuild" or just "An Ebuild", or just no
description at all.

If the usecase for this is "Sometimes people will want to write an
ebuild and not provide a description at all, and don't care that its
not useful", then it shoudn't be supported by a nasty hack in the
parent eclass, Portage should instead support a missing DESCRIPTION
feature.

--
Kent

perl -e "print substr( "edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic@tfrken", $_ * 3,