Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Duncan

Default DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"

Kent Fredric posted on Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:52:16 +1200 as excerpted:

> If the usecase for this is "Sometimes people will want to write an
> ebuild and not provide a description at all, and don't care that its not
> useful",
> then it shoudn't be supported by a nasty hack in the parent eclass,
> Portage should instead support a missing DESCRIPTION feature.

Ciaranm already posted this link, from an earlier discussion, that
describes why that thing's there. It's legacy and it /should/ be gotten
rid of I think most would agree (I certainly do as a user; it's a hassle
and an eyesore). Only nobody has cared to take on the responsibility of
double-checking to make sure removing it doesn't break anything and of
fixing anything they miss if it does anyway, so there the cruft still
sits.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/

Bottom line, I doubt there'd be any complaints if those lines
"disappeared", as long as anything broken in the process equally
magically just "got fixed".

Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Duncan

Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina posted on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400 as
excerpted:

> If anyone wants to explain to me why that DESCRIPTION line is so
> critical that it must exist yet not important enough to put something
> worthwhile in I'm all ears. Until that point I'll probably keep bringing
> this up.

Did you read the up-thread link Ciaran posted?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/

IOW, it's legacy. They could probably "disappear", if anybody was
willing to spend the time investigating, then fixing anything that broke
when the lines "disappeared". But it's simply easier to go with "don't
fix what's not broken", and just leave it be. Let someone else take that
risk.

But as long as any breakage "magically disappeared" to wherever the
DESCRIPTIONs went, I don't expect there'd be many complaints...

Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Zac Medico

On 09/15/2012 08:06 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina posted on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400 as
> excerpted:
>
>> If anyone wants to explain to me why that DESCRIPTION line is so
>> critical that it must exist yet not important enough to put something
>> worthwhile in I'm all ears. Until that point I'll probably keep bringing
>> this up.
>
> Did you read the up-thread link Ciaran posted?
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/
>
> IOW, it's legacy. They could probably "disappear", if anybody was
> willing to spend the time investigating, then fixing anything that broke
> when the lines "disappeared". But it's simply easier to go with "don't
> fix what's not broken", and just leave it be. Let someone else take that
> risk.
>
> But as long as any breakage "magically disappeared" to wherever the
> DESCRIPTIONs went, I don't expect there'd be many complaints...

I've gone ahead and removed them. I can't imagine that it will break
anything. After the change, all of the ebuilds still have non-empty
DESCRIPTION metadata.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina"

On 09/15/2012 03:59 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400
> "Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/14/2012 05:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:

>>> Use unifdef. Look at my overlay, and my ebuilds in the tree.
>>>

>> So just so we are clear, everyone but me thinks that
>> DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass" is a completely useful
>> and critically required piece of code?
>
> No. We agree with you that it is useless but you are saying that with
> a *completely* wrong reasoning.
>
>> Until that point I'll probably keep bringing this up.
>
> Don't forget to threaten us that you'll leave Gentoo.

While I may be completely unreasonable in my requests you will never see
those words spoken from me. If all of you quit I'd develop gentoo
(poorly) by myself and if I was kicked out (which I'll try to avoid)
I'll keep developing Pentoo based on Gentoo as I have been for the last
7 years. Please don't mistake my belly aching for a lack of dedication
to this project, it is precisely my dedication that causes me to care so
much.

- -Zero

Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Duncan

Zac Medico posted on Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:01:49 -0700 as excerpted:

> I've gone ahead and removed them. I can't imagine that it will break
> anything. After the change, all of the ebuilds still have non-empty
> DESCRIPTION metadata.

"And there was much rejoicing in gentoo-land!" =:^)

Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Markos Chandras

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400
> "Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/14/2012 05:27 PM, Michał Górny wrote:

>> > Use unifdef. Look at my overlay, and my ebuilds in the tree.
>> >

>> So just so we are clear, everyone but me thinks that
>> DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass" is a completely useful
>> and critically required piece of code?
>
> No. We agree with you that it is useless but you are saying that with
> a *completely* wrong reasoning.
>
>> Until that point I'll probably keep bringing this up.
>
> Don't forget to threaten us that you'll leave Gentoo.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Michał Górny

This was uncalled-for. I see no such tone from his e-mails. We need no
more flames. We had enough of these already.