Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Alexis Ballier

Default media-video/vlc looking for a new maintainer

Hi,

After more than 5 years maintaining it (sh*t I'm old), I've
progressively lost interest in it, to the point that I consider it is
better that someone else takes care of it. So far I have dropped
maintainership to the video herd but vlc usually needs more specific
attention, so I fear that it may not survive long if left as
such.

From what I've read in various places, I'm pretty sure there are
competent fellow devs interested in it, so, please step up!
I will of course help the brave(s) that would take it over with what
they may need to know to be at ease with the package.

Alexis.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Ben de Groot

On 15 September 2012 04:01, Alexis Ballier <aballier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After more than 5 years maintaining it (sh*t I'm old), I've
> progressively lost interest in it, to the point that I consider it is
> better that someone else takes care of it. So far I have dropped
> maintainership to the video herd but vlc usually needs more specific
> attention, so I fear that it may not survive long if left as
> such.
>
> From what I've read in various places, I'm pretty sure there are
> competent fellow devs interested in it, so, please step up!
> I will of course help the brave(s) that would take it over with what
> they may need to know to be at ease with the package.
>
> Alexis.

Thanks for all you have done maintaining VLC all those years. It is
undoubtedly one of the most popular and versatile video players out
there. I really hope someone steps up to become its new dedicated
maintainer.

(Personally I have no interest as I use and co-maintain SMPlayer.)

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin

Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Luca Barbato

On 09/19/2012 04:00 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> Thanks for all you have done maintaining VLC all those years. It is
> undoubtedly one of the most popular and versatile video players out
> there. I really hope someone steps up to become its new dedicated
> maintainer.

Given I'm in contact with upstream I might cover the interim since a
release is impelling, I prefer shared maintainership though.

lu