Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Rich Freeman

Default rfc: netplugd and ifplugd support in OpenRc

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I can agree that a server would probably want a static configuration,
> but all work stations do not use gnome, kde, etc.

Most do not run unix, but at work I can't think of any servers that
are using static configurations. They might be assigned static IPs,
but they'll use DHCP just the same.

I deploy my network at home in the same way - most of my standing PCs
have DNS and static IP assignments, but they still use DHCP. This way
I can still utilize PXE for backups/etc, and adjust things at any time
fairly easily.

Rich

Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Ian Stakenvicius

Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Pacho Ramos

El mié, 12-09-2012 a las 08:44 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius escribió:

Also my father has two machines in his job with static config and
ifplugd to detect link up/down. I also remember to migrate years ago
from netplugd to ifplugd for some reason I can't remember now, probably
ifplugd worked better :/