Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Doug Goldstein

Default app-emulation/qemu & app-emulation/qemu-kvm folding into one package

Hey all,

Just an announcement that app-emulation/qemu-kvm will be pkgmove'd to
app-emulation/qemu at some point this week. The app-emulation/qemu
ebuilds will effectively die and be replaced by the
app-emulation/qemu-kvm ebuilds. I've brought this up before and there
was a bunch of rabble about "keep our pristine qemu ebuilds!!!". The
fact of the matter is that the app-emulation/qemu just isn't getting
the same maintenance care that app-emulation/qemu-kvm is. I've really
only got the bandwidth to handle one at a time. Additionally this will
bring us inline with a few other distros use of qemu as they're really
building their binaries from qemu-kvm.

For those that want pure qemu builds, I recommend creating an overlay
and replacing the URL. The ebuilds will otherwise aim to be 100%
compatible.

--
Doug Goldstein

Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:55:58 -0500
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Just an announcement that app-emulation/qemu-kvm will be pkgmove'd to
> app-emulation/qemu at some point this week.

Package moves shouldn't be used to move a package over something that
already exists. You should just package.mask and later remove.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Luca Barbato

On 09/10/2012 03:55 AM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just an announcement that app-emulation/qemu-kvm will be pkgmove'd to
> app-emulation/qemu at some point this week. The app-emulation/qemu
> ebuilds will effectively die and be replaced by the
> app-emulation/qemu-kvm ebuilds. I've brought this up before and there
> was a bunch of rabble about "keep our pristine qemu ebuilds!!!". The
> fact of the matter is that the app-emulation/qemu just isn't getting
> the same maintenance care that app-emulation/qemu-kvm is. I've really
> only got the bandwidth to handle one at a time. Additionally this will
> bring us inline with a few other distros use of qemu as they're really
> building their binaries from qemu-kvm.

I mostly care for the qemu-user variant (and lately I had been otherwise
busy).

I like the idea of keeping a single ebuild for the system emulation though.

lu

Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Sergey Popov

10.09.2012 05:55, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just an announcement that app-emulation/qemu-kvm will be pkgmove'd to
> app-emulation/qemu at some point this week. The app-emulation/qemu
> ebuilds will effectively die and be replaced by the
> app-emulation/qemu-kvm ebuilds. I've brought this up before and there
> was a bunch of rabble about "keep our pristine qemu ebuilds!!!". The
> fact of the matter is that the app-emulation/qemu just isn't getting
> the same maintenance care that app-emulation/qemu-kvm is. I've really
> only got the bandwidth to handle one at a time. Additionally this will
> bring us inline with a few other distros use of qemu as they're really
> building their binaries from qemu-kvm.
>
> For those that want pure qemu builds, I recommend creating an overlay
> and replacing the URL. The ebuilds will otherwise aim to be 100%
> compatible.

It seems that qemu-kvm will be merged into main qemu source tree(i have
heard that fact... do not really remember where :-D), so your decision
maybe concerned as preparations for this merge. I am strongly agreed
with it.