Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Rich Freeman

Default EAPI usage

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> From a developer's perspective, it's obviously better to be able to do
> whatever you want. But for users it'd be nice to be able to request a
> bump to EAPI5 and not get told to buzz off.

It is easy. Don't ask for a bump to EAPI5. Ask for support for user
patches, or whatever it is that you really need.

I don't exactly see threads all over the place complaining about
legitimate bugs being closed as WONTFIX.

Rich

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Brian Harring

On Sep 6, 2012 10:18 AM, "Michael Orlitzky" <michael@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2012 05:29 PM, Brian Harring wrote:

> > Yes, I stated it because I view it as useful/sane.

> >> and isn't a compromise at all.

> > I think you're mistaken in assuming a compromise is the required

> > outcome of this. *Given the choice between something productive, and

> > something not productive, you don't choose the quasi-productive

> > solution.

> From a developer's perspective, it's obviously better to be able to do

> whatever you want. But for users it'd be nice to be able to request a

> bump to EAPI5 and not get told to buzz off.

> Some people are unhappy with the current situation or this thread

> wouldn't exist. A good compromise should make everyone just a little bit

> unhappy =)

Open source is built on scratching your own itch.* As I said, you want eapi5 for user patching, either you're on the devs prioritization, or you do it yourself.* You may not like that fact, but that *is* reality- filing nagging tickets isn't really going to help (more likely to piss people off in the same way zero-day tickets do).

Suggest you put effort towards eapi5 rather than this thread; the thread isn't productive any longer (arguing the point when people have said no in full force is pointless).

~harring