Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Michał Górny

Default adns & ares USE flags

Hello,

$ quse -D adns ares
global:adns: Adds support for the adns DNS client library
local:ares:dev-libs/ecore: Enables support for asynchronous DNS using the net-dns/c-ares library
local:ares:net-analyzer/wireshark: Use GNU net-dns/c-ares library to resolve DNS names
local:ares:net-irc/znc: Enables support for asynchronous DNS using the c-ares library
local:ares:net-misc/aria2: Enables support for asynchronous DNS using the c-ares library
local:ares:net-misc/curl: Enabled c-ares dns support
local:ares:net-p2p/gift: pull in Ares plugin

Both of the flags (except for gift AFAICS) refer to asynchronous DNS
resolution. Could we join them into one flag? I think we should retain
'adns', move appropriate 'ares' flags to it and modify the description
to make it less library-centric.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Ben de Groot

On 28 August 2012 05:11, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> $ quse -D adns ares
> global:adns: Adds support for the adns DNS client library
> local:ares:dev-libs/ecore: Enables support for asynchronous DNS using the net-dns/c-ares library
> local:ares:net-analyzer/wireshark: Use GNU net-dns/c-ares library to resolve DNS names
> local:ares:net-irc/znc: Enables support for asynchronous DNS using the c-ares library
> local:ares:net-misc/aria2: Enables support for asynchronous DNS using the c-ares library
> local:ares:net-misc/curl: Enabled c-ares dns support
> local:ares:net-p2p/gift: pull in Ares plugin
>
> Both of the flags (except for gift AFAICS) refer to asynchronous DNS
> resolution. Could we join them into one flag? I think we should retain
> 'adns', move appropriate 'ares' flags to it and modify the description
> to make it less library-centric.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin

Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina"

Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

On 29/08/2012 09:05, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
> Except for the fact that they are two different backends for async DNS
> and some packages (wireshark) support both. Doesn't make sense to merge
> them and take the choice away from the user.

They should behave like ssl: if only one is supported you call "adns" —
if more than one, you put adns in front, and then get the non-preferred
one and you give it an extra USE.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flameeyes@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

Then it's like the ssl: openssl gnutls nss case

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Michał Górny

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:11:54 +0200
Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Both of the flags (except for gift AFAICS) refer to asynchronous DNS
> resolution. Could we join them into one flag? I think we should retain
> 'adns', move appropriate 'ares' flags to it and modify the description
> to make it less library-centric.

We've reached agreement with Rick and I have committed the new USE=adns
description. I will open bugs to migrate the few affected packages
soon.

After a bit of discussion, we think it may be also useful to enable
USE=adns by default in some profile to let it benefit users.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 PM
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina"

Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Michał Górny

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:36:02 -0400
"Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina" <zerochaos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> For things which are currently actually using adns, I believe
> migrating USE=adns to USE=libadns to allow users to specifically pick
> the (afaik deprecated) library.

I think you wanted to say 'things which are supporting both' :P.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny