Old 08-18-2012, 03:00 AM
"Gregory M. Turner"

Default CWD-relative ROOT support in portage: misfeature?

It has come to my attention that gentoo supports "relative" ROOT, which
is to say that, by design, portage will act as though (in bash terms):

ROOT

equals

"${PWD}/${ROOT}"

when (again in bash terms):

[[ $ROOT != /* ]]

at the moment execution crosses the boundary between a non-portage
program and a portage program. For example, I ran the following from a
bash-prompt with PWD=/tmp in a portage-2.2 ~amd64 environment:

greg@fedora64vmw /tmp $ mkdir foo
greg@fedora64vmw /tmp $ ROOT=foo portageq envvar ROOT
/tmp/foo/

Question: do we really want this behavior?

I have reason to believe that almost nobody uses this feature (namely,
gcc-config and binutils-config are both broken under it for ages and
nobody filed a bug or fixed it: see bugzilla #431104).

Does /anybody/ use this feature? If not, I'd suggest that the portage
team might ask itself whether the benefits of continuing to maintain it
are greater than the hassle and potential for error it facilitates.

Just my 2c,

-gmt

Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Ian Stakenvicius

On 2012-08-17, at 11:00 PM, "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@malth.us> wrote:

> It has come to my attention that gentoo supports "relative" ROOT, which is to say that, by design, portage will act as though (in bash terms):
>
> ROOT
>
> equals
>
> "${PWD}/${ROOT}"
>
> when (again in bash terms):
>
> [[ $ROOT != /* ]]
>
> at the moment execution crosses the boundary between a non-portage program and a portage program. For example, I ran the following from a bash-prompt with PWD=/tmp in a portage-2.2 ~amd64 environment:
>
> greg@fedora64vmw /tmp $ mkdir foo
> greg@fedora64vmw /tmp $ ROOT=foo portageq envvar ROOT
> /tmp/foo/
>
> Question: do we really want this behavior?
>
> I have reason to believe that almost nobody uses this feature (namely, gcc-config and binutils-config are both broken under it for ages and nobody filed a bug or fixed it: see bugzilla #431104).
>
> Does /anybody/ use this feature? If not, I'd suggest that the portage team might ask itself whether the benefits of continuing to maintain it are greater than the hassle and potential for error it facilitates.
>
> Just my 2c,
>
> -gmt

Sorry for the HTML response... am on the road.

I don't use the feature but I would fully expect said behavior. ie, going with the example above I would expect that I'd need the / in front for the path to not be relative.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:00 PM
"Gregory M. Turner"