Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 AM

Default pid 1 design

Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> writes:

> Considering that systemd unit files are sometimes shipped with upstream
> packages, and often they are practically equivalent to openrc init
> scripts, I'd rather see openrc supporting that file format
> as an extension and using it instead of duplicating the same thing
> in init.d scripts.

I bet this resonate with many minds out here. I am also planning to make
a draft implementation.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Duncan

Luca Barbato posted on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:59:39 +0200 as excerpted:

> Yet I'm not used to have to reboot after issuing emerge -u world and
> most of the times I don't have even to restart X...

I suppose if you just use emerge -u @world, are running stable, and
possibly don't care about services using old-version libs...

If you're running ~arch, prefer emerge -NuD @world, and do a lib_users or
the like after updates, at least here, I've found it's often easier to
simply reboot, than to restart X/KDE and half a dozen services, even if I
could in theory avoid the full reboot.

That -D makes a big difference, tho, and -N of course compounds it.
Between that and the more frequent updates on ~arch...

But of course I'm usually running a live-git kernel too, so that just
gives me even more excuse to do a git pull and a kernel rebuild before
the reboot too, so as to get the new kernel as well. =:^)