Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Martin Sivak

Default Localization of text mode

Hi,

are we going to localize the text mode? If we do, there is one important decision to make:

- are we localizing the commands too? I am talking about using 'q' for quit, 'c' for continue...

We can do that easily, but I have heard some objections from Brno people about it. The argument was, that it makes
it hard to script the serial console and makes it confusing to switch between languages.

As an example of this, you might not be aware of it, but Microsoft Excel has localized function names (=SUM vs. =SUMA or =SQRT vs. =ODMOCNINA) and when you move between english and czech version of it a lot, it really makes you wanting to hurt someone in that company.

--
Martin Sivák
msivak@redhat.com

Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Chris Lumens

> are we going to localize the text mode? If we do, there is one
> important decision to make:

Yes, we will have to.

> - are we localizing the commands too? I am talking about using 'q' for
> quit, 'c' for continue...
>
> We can do that easily, but I have heard some objections from Brno
> people about it. The argument was, that it makes
> it hard to script the serial console and makes it confusing to switch between languages.
>
> As an example of this, you might not be aware of it, but Microsoft
> Excel has localized function names (=SUM vs. =SUMA or =SQRT vs.
> =ODMOCNINA) and when you move between english and czech version of it
> a lot, it really makes you wanting to hurt someone in that company.

I can see that being pretty weird. Well, how many commands are we
talking about here? If it's a pretty small set, we can just assign them
to function keys or numbers instead of using letters. Then you're just
translating the text but it's always F10, for instance.

- Chris

Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Martin Sivak

Hi,

Well.. the TUI uses standard read mechanisms for getting input, so it is 'c<enter>'. That rules out F10. Also, dumb terminals won't probably understand F keys either.

Currently we have probably three:

- continue - for standalone spokes and hubs + when we split a spoke into multiple sequential screens
- back - for spokes and sequential screens
- quit - currently handled everywhere

and we may want to add a way to do cancel (closing spoke without saving anything)

Also those are in use in almost all screens, but with partitioning, we might need commands like add, remove, edit, ...

Martin

Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Chris Lumens

> Well.. the TUI uses standard read mechanisms for getting input, so it
> is 'c<enter>'. That rules out F10. Also, dumb terminals won't probably
> understand F keys either.
>
> Currently we have probably three:
>
> - continue - for standalone spokes and hubs + when we split a spoke
> into multiple sequential screens
> - back - for spokes and sequential screens
> - quit - currently handled everywhere

Keyboard shortcut keys in the GUI are translated, so it's not too bad if
they are in the TUI as well. However if it's really that big a deal,
you can always use really high numbers like 97, 98, 99 for those special
navigational requirements.

> and we may want to add a way to do cancel (closing spoke without
> saving anything)

The hub & spoke model in the GUI does not allow for leaving the spoke
without saving anything (unless you just don't change any values), so I
don't think we want the TUI to look similarly but act differently.

- Chris