Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM
"Federico "fox" Scrinzi"

Default RFC: euscan user dashboard

Hi!
I'm Federico and I'm working for this year's Google Summer of Code on
the euscan project with Corentin Chary.
euscan is a tool to automatically scan upstream and find out if some
packages in gentoo are outdated and should be bumped.

We're working on a dashboard for maintainers where will be possible to
receive a personalized report of packages.
Currently on euscan (http://euscan.iksaif.net/) is possible to register
and watch / unwatch packages. A simple dashboard is provided with a
summary of the watched stuff (# of watched packages, # of outdated
packages, etc...).

We already received some suggestions and we implmented some of them, but
we'd like to receive more detailed feedback about:

- Mail newsletter: would you like to have it? which info would you like
to receive specifically? A summary of the packages you're watching? When
a scan is performed would you like an alert with all the new found
version? Anything else?

- RSS feed: would you like to have it? which info would you like? Only
about new found versions of the packages you're watching? Or about
portage updates too?

- Settings/Preferences e.g.: Receive news only about stable versions,
about unstable versions only if the version in gentoo is unstable, etc...

Thank you for your help!

--
f.

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
violent psychopath who knows where you live."
(Martin Golding)

Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Michał Górny

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 10:12:47 +0200
"Federico "fox" Scrinzi" <fox91@anche.no> wrote:

> We already received some suggestions and we implmented some of them,
> but we'd like to receive more detailed feedback about:
>
> - Mail newsletter: would you like to have it? which info would you
> like to receive specifically? A summary of the packages you're
> watching? When a scan is performed would you like an alert with all
> the new found version? Anything else?
>
> - RSS feed: would you like to have it? which info would you like? Only
> about new found versions of the packages you're watching? Or about
> portage updates too?

I believe these two should be developed together. Something like
newsletter being sent on user-specified timeout with new information,
and RSS having new information whenever user pulls it.

I would practically say that they should contain whatever will be in
dashboard. Best, if one could have a list like:

| dashboard | RSS | newsletter
feature 1 | [yes/no] | [yes/no] | [every week/every .../no]
feature 2 |
feature 3 |

For RSS, this would work as a base specifier (like when user
pulls /dashboard/rss), while it would be fun to support changing
the options by URI like /dashboard/rss?feature1=no.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Markos Chandras

On 08/07/2012 09:12 AM, Federico "fox" Scrinzi wrote:

> We already received some suggestions and we implmented some of
> them, but we'd like to receive more detailed feedback about:
>
> - Mail newsletter: would you like to have it? which info would you
> like to receive specifically? A summary of the packages you're
> watching? When a scan is performed would you like an alert with all
> the new found version? Anything else?

Yes I would like to get email notifications every time there is a
version bump in the upstream repos. I also would like to receive an
email notification once a month listing all the packages that I
haven't bumped in portage.

> - RSS feed: would you like to have it? which info would you like?
> Only about new found versions of the packages you're watching? Or
> about portage updates too?

I already use the rss feed. I just clicked on my name and then used
the rss url. Works quite well I must say. The only annoying thing is
that it also lists package removals. IMHO, this is not as useful as
version bumps.

> - Settings/Preferences e.g.: Receive news only about stable
> versions, about unstable versions only if the version in gentoo is
> unstable, etc...

Ideally, I would like to get notifications when a package is more than
30 days in the tree so I can file a stablereq bug.

> Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your work and for improving euscan!

- --

Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM
"Federico "fox" Scrinzi"

On 08/08/2012 21:53, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Yes I would like to get email notifications every time there is a
> version bump in the upstream repos. I also would like to receive an
> email notification once a month listing all the packages that I
> haven't bumped in portage.

So let's say: for every scan performed by euscan send an email with all
watched updated packages not already in portage.
Just a list of the packages? (with a link to the euscan page? or would
you prefer text-only emails?)

Example:
+ a-category/package1-3.3.4-r0: [<upstream>]
+ a-category/package2-0.1.1-r0: [<upstream>]

Settings for emails could be:
- Activate / deactivate email notifications
- Ignore unstable versions (alpha, beta, etc...)
- Ignore unstable versions only if current version is stable

Should we show removals in the email? Or only bumps?
Would you like to receive infos about adds in portage or upstream only?
Or a setting for that?

Other suggestions?

> I already use the rss feed. I just clicked on my name and then used
> the rss url. Works quite well I must say. The only annoying thing is
> that it also lists package removals. IMHO, this is not as useful as
> version bumps.

Great!

So settings for rss feeds:
- Show or not portage updates
- Show or not upstream updates
- Show or not removals
- Show or not bumps
- Ignore unstable versions (alpha, beta, etc...)
- Ignore unstable versions only if current version is stable

Settings are available in all feeds as url options, not just in the user
custom feed (shows only watched stuff).

Other suggestions?