Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Peter Stuge

Default rfc: openrc init scripts taking command line arguments

William Hubbs wrote:
> /etc/init.d/foo stop start
>
> would no longer work the way you might expect because there would be no
> way to tell whether start is a command or an argument to stop.
>
> What are your thoughts about this change?

/etc/init.d/foo stop start

along with all other commands can work like before.

/etc/init.d/foo stop -- start

can pass start as an argument to the stop command.

//Peter

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Peter Stuge

William Hubbs wrote:
> let's move all of the discussion of this to the bug if possible so
> that it is all in one place.

That's fine and probably good.

Note that you were the one inviting email discussion about the
change. I guess you wanted rather to focus on the question if
breaking compatibility was cool or not.

Anything web is *way* too inconvenient for me to participate without
strong interest. That may be a good thing. Anyway I've mentally
abandoned init script including openrc long ago.

systemd is the future, and truly a leap ahead for systems world wide.

//Peter