FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Agostino Sarubbo
 
Default news item: upgrading to postfix-2.9

On Tuesday 17 July 2012 13:19:25 Eray Aslan wrote:
> I'd like to commit the following news item on 2012-07-21. Any comments?

Imho, no need a news for it.
emerge -DuN world;revdep-rebuild;dispatch-conf is what you normally do.
--
Agostino Sarubbo / ago -at- gentoo.org
Gentoo/AMD64 Arch Security Liaison
GPG: 0x7CD2DC5D
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Eray Aslan
 
Default news item: upgrading to postfix-2.9

On 07/17/2012 01:34 PM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
> Imho, no need a news for it.
> emerge -DuN world;revdep-rebuild;dispatch-conf is what you normally do.

Well, the sysadmin runs dispatch-conf, a new daemon_directory setting
comes up and he goes WTF? I am trying to avoid that WTF moment.

There was a few complaints in gentoo-user ML and a bug report when it
was introduced to ~arch. It seems people do not pay too much attention
to ewarn messages.

Having said that, I am not sure if it is really news-item material. If
the general consensus is that a news item is not needed, I will follow
along.

--
Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org>
 
Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman
 
Default news item: upgrading to postfix-2.9

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Well, the sysadmin runs dispatch-conf, a new daemon_directory setting
> comes up and he goes WTF? I am trying to avoid that WTF moment.
>
> There was a few complaints in gentoo-user ML and a bug report when it
> was introduced to ~arch. It seems people do not pay too much attention
> to ewarn messages.
>
> Having said that, I am not sure if it is really news-item material. If
> the general consensus is that a news item is not needed, I will follow
> along.

It may be a small issue, but since the potential pain is quite large,
it seems like a news item would be worth it. I would certainly
appreciate it myself, since postfix config file changes are usually
pretty hard to review for merges.

Cheers,

Dirkjan
 
Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Eray Aslan
 
Default news item: upgrading to postfix-2.9

On 07/17/2012 02:00 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> It may be a small issue, but since the potential pain is quite large,

Yes, that's the idea.

> since postfix config file changes are usually
> pretty hard to review for merges.

Hmm, that's a failure on our part. >=postfix-2.9 ebuilds is better in
this regard. Ideally, only readme_directory and html_directory settings
should come up in dispatch.conf. If you are still having problems
during upgrades in postfix-2.9.x versions, please let me know.

--
Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org>
 
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Nathan Zachary
 
Default news item: upgrading to postfix-2.9

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:21:07 +0300
Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 07/17/2012 02:00 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> > It may be a small issue, but since the potential pain is quite
> > large,
>
> Yes, that's the idea.
>

Considering Postfix is an MTA that is commonly used in production
environments, it is likely better to provide users with ample warning
than to risk the application failing and troubleshooting thereafter.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
 
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Duncan
 
Default news item: upgrading to postfix-2.9

Nathan Zachary posted on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:29:52 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:21:07 +0300 Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2012 02:00 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>> > It may be a small issue, but since the potential pain is quite large,
>>
>> Yes, that's the idea.
>>
> Considering Postfix is an MTA that is commonly used in production
> environments, it is likely better to provide users with ample warning
> than to risk the application failing and troubleshooting thereafter.

I'd agree (tho I don't use postfix).

Additionally, IIRC during a recent news item discussion someone said they
believe if anything, we're underusing the news facilities. IDR seeing
major disagreement, and I too tend to agree. They're one-shot unless an
admin deliberately goes back to read them over and higher visibility than
ewarns.

Ewarns often appears every update for years, over sometimes a dozen
updates, so even those like me that try to read them sometimes miss
something new in the "noise" of messages we've seen over and over and
over and over and over.

Of course, the visibility filtering for news items was deliberately
designed to help avoid that, and as long as news items /remain/ single-
shot, not getting abused to appear over and over (or we'd need yet
another layer to stand out from that noise), certainly, from current
levels I really do think we could easily double or more the frequency,
without being too annoying/abusive.

So yeah, this one might be a relatively small thing, but with this sort
of package a single person missing a single warning can mean a service
outage for dozens or hundreds, so I think it's worth it. And since only
postfix users who haven't upgraded yet will see it, and then only once,
yes, do it.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org