Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Doug Goldstein

Default multiple package moves into one

Is it valid to do something like:

move media-plugins/mytharchive media-plugins/mythplugins
move media-plugins/mythbrowser media-plugins/mythplugins
move media-plugins/mythgallery media-plugins/mythplugins
move media-plugins/mythgame media-plugins/mythplugins
move media-plugins/mythmovies media-plugins/mythplugins
move media-plugins/mythnews media-plugins/mythplugins
move media-plugins/mythweather media-plugins/mythplugins

Thanks.
--
Doug Goldstein

Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:08:45 -0500
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Is it valid to do something like:
>
> move media-plugins/mytharchive media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythbrowser media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythgallery media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythgame media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythmovies media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythnews media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythweather media-plugins/mythplugins

Nope.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Zac Medico

On 07/15/2012 03:08 PM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> Is it valid to do something like:
>
> move media-plugins/mytharchive media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythbrowser media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythgallery media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythgame media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythmovies media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythnews media-plugins/mythplugins
> move media-plugins/mythweather media-plugins/mythplugins

No, that's not really how it's intended to be used. You'll probably have
to put blockers in media-plugins/mythplugins to block all the old
packages that install the same files.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Doug Goldstein

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:08:45 -0500
> Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Is it valid to do something like:
>>
>> move media-plugins/mytharchive media-plugins/mythplugins
>> move media-plugins/mythbrowser media-plugins/mythplugins
>> move media-plugins/mythgallery media-plugins/mythplugins
>> move media-plugins/mythgame media-plugins/mythplugins
>> move media-plugins/mythmovies media-plugins/mythplugins
>> move media-plugins/mythnews media-plugins/mythplugins
>> move media-plugins/mythweather media-plugins/mythplugins
>
> Nope.

Dang. Didn't think so but I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the quick reply.

--
Doug Goldstein

Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Ian Stakenvicius

Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Doug Goldstein

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 15/07/12 06:16 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
>> On 07/15/2012 03:08 PM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>>> Is it valid to do something like:
>>>
>>> move media-plugins/mytharchive media-plugins/mythplugins move
>>> media-plugins/mythbrowser media-plugins/mythplugins move
>>> media-plugins/mythgallery media-plugins/mythplugins move
>>> media-plugins/mythgame media-plugins/mythplugins move
>>> media-plugins/mythmovies media-plugins/mythplugins move
>>> media-plugins/mythnews media-plugins/mythplugins move
>>> media-plugins/mythweather media-plugins/mythplugins
>>
>> No, that's not really how it's intended to be used. You'll probably
>> have to put blockers in media-plugins/mythplugins to block all the
>> old packages that install the same files.
>
> Theoretically (i've done a quick test on this and it seems true) a
> single-"!" blocker is enough that one package will on upgrade replace
> all these others without user intervention being required (assuming
> these packages aren't in @world, of course), and it won't cause file
> collisions.
>
> Unrelatedly curious, why the package merge?

Trying to make MythTV maintenance easier on myself since I couldn't
find a maintainer. Upstream changed to SVN a long while back and with
that changed moved all the plugins into one bundle called mythplugins.
They've now switched to git and with that change I decided to
modernize a little bit.

mythtv.git a few top level directories, each of which is packaged as
its own tarball which makes backporting patches extra fun. The
mythplugins tarball (mythtv.git/mythplugins) contains additional
plugins that are found in different git repos.

They're still unique snowflakes with their git usage.

--
Doug Goldstein