Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Default inittab with SIGPWR support

Hi all,

To have a better support for Gentoo lxc guests, it would be nice if our
default inittab contained a line for handling SIGPWR sent to PID 1 to
shut the system down.

As far as I can tell systemd and upstart already do that, which then
makes it possible to have LXC handle most Linux guests just fine.

Let me know if anyone has doubts about the validity of doing this by
default.

Thanks,
--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flameeyes@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
James Cloos

DEP> To have a better support for Gentoo lxc guests, it would be nice if our
DEP> default inittab contained a line for handling SIGPWR sent to PID 1 to
DEP> shut the system down.

I'm embarrased to have to say that I hadn't noticed that gentoo lacked power
lines in its inittab(5).

Please cover the set, not just powerfail.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il 10/07/2012 18:44, James Cloos ha scritto:
> I'm embarrased to have to say that I hadn't noticed that gentoo lacked power
> lines in its inittab(5).

They _are_ deprecated after all.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM
James Cloos

DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.

Where is that documented?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Diego Elio Petten

> DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.
>
> Where is that documented?

man inittab

Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Tobias Klausmann

Hi!

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Diego Elio Petten wrote:
> > DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.
> >
> > Where is that documented?
>
> man inittab

You seem to have a different version than I do:

$ equery f sysvinit|xargs grep -i deprecated 2>/dev/null
$ equery f sysvinit|xargs bzgrep -i deprecated 2>/dev/null
/usr/share/man/man8/shutdown.8.bz2:[DEPRECATED] Don't call
fBinitfP(8) to do the shutdown but do it ourself.
$ eix -Ice sysvinit
[i] sys-apps/sysvinit (2.88-r3@08/31/2011): /sbin/init - parent
of all processes

Can you c&p the paragraph in question?

Thanks,
Tobias

Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il 13/07/2012 13:48, Tobias Klausmann ha scritto:
> You seem to have a different version than I do:

Sorry wrong man, it was man init:

Usage of SIGPWR and /etc/powerstatus is discouraged. Someone
wanting to interact with init should use the /dev/initctl control
channel - see the source code of the
sysvinit package for more documentation about this.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
James Cloos

DEP> They _are_ deprecated after all.
>>
>> Where is that documented?

DEP> man inittab

Not here. (/usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5.bz2 from sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6