Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Samuli Suominen

Default prune_libtool_files is NOT a direct replacement for, example, find "${D}" -name '*.la' -delete

The logic in prune_libtool_files is not perfect[1].

If you are updating ebuild for whatever reason and see `find` command to
punt .la files, and replace it with prune_libtool_files then you also
need to build the package (with "every" possible USE flag combination)
to see if --all argument is also needed.

To clarify:

Use `prune_libtool_files --all` instead of plain `prune_libtool_files`
if you don't test the package with the USE flags.

Not going to point anyone with a finger but the accident has already
happened couple of times in tree :P

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/421197

Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Michał Górny

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 22:12:34 +0300
Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:

> The logic in prune_libtool_files is not perfect[1].

Define 'perfect'.

> To clarify:
>
> Use `prune_libtool_files --all` instead of plain
> `prune_libtool_files` if you don't test the package with the USE
> flags.

Sounds like abuse of '--all' to me. It's like calling 'rm -r' for
single file...

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Pacho Ramos

El jue, 28-06-2012 a las 10:26 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 22:12:34 +0300
> Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > The logic in prune_libtool_files is not perfect[1].
>
> Define 'perfect'.
>
> > To clarify:
> >
> > Use `prune_libtool_files --all` instead of plain
> > `prune_libtool_files` if you don't test the package with the USE
> > flags.
>
> Sounds like abuse of '--all' to me. It's like calling 'rm -r' for
> single file...
>
> > [1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/421197

But we will need to use "--all" in cases like pointed in that bug
report, no? :/

Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Michał Górny

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:18:56 +0200
Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:

> El jue, 28-06-2012 a las 10:26 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 22:12:34 +0300
> > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > The logic in prune_libtool_files is not perfect[1].
> >
> > Define 'perfect'.
> >
> > > To clarify:
> > >
> > > Use `prune_libtool_files --all` instead of plain
> > > `prune_libtool_files` if you don't test the package with the USE
> > > flags.
> >
> > Sounds like abuse of '--all' to me. It's like calling 'rm -r' for
> > single file...
> >
> > > [1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/421197
> >

> But we will need to use "--all" in cases like pointed in that bug
> report, no? :/

You need to use it if the package passes '-module' to libtool,
and doesn't use plugin loader which uses .la files (ltdl, gmodule).

The main point is that installing _those_ .la files doesn't do any harm
to the system (they can't be linked against). Removing them may (for
example, in ImageMagick).

It's sad that people start running with pitchforks when they see
anything looking like .la without really understanding what it does.
And yes, I already had users removing all *.la files and then
complaining programs no longer work...

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny