Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
"Federico "fox" Scrinzi"

Default euscan GSoC project - requesting feedback

Hi everybody!

I'm working on a GSoC project for enhancing Euscan
(http://euscan.iksaif.net/). Euscan allows to check if a given
package/ebuild has new upstream versions or not. It uses different
heuristic to scan upstream and grab new versions and related urls.
Euscan has a web interface for surfing data but for now is only possible
to see the scan results per package/category/herd/maintainers/overlay.
We're working now on the possibility to register and provide a cool
dashboard for maintainers, so that they can easily keep an eye on the
upstream versions of the packages they maintain.

The main question is: what would you like to have on this dashboard?
Currently (in the development version) there's the possibility to login
and watch/unwatch packages/categories/herds/... and see the watched
stuff in the account dashboard. We're planning on implementing a
weekly(?) custom newsletter based on the packages you're watching, which
features would you like?

The project repo for the GSoC is here: https://github.com/volpino/euscan

Thanks!

--
f.

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
violent psychopath who knows where you live."
(Martin Golding)

http://about.me/fox91

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Federico "fox" Scrinzi <fox91@anche.no> wrote:
> The main question is: what would you like to have on this dashboard?
> Currently (in the development version) there's the possibility to login
> and watch/unwatch packages/categories/herds/... and see the watched
> stuff in the account dashboard. We're planning on implementing a
> weekly(?) custom newsletter based on the packages you're watching, which
> features would you like?

- The ability to pick what overlays I care about
- Ignore alpha/beta versions if the current gentoo-x86 version is not alpha/beta
- Candidates for stabilization

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Michael Weber

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Michał Górny

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:51:06 +0200
"Federico "fox" Scrinzi" <fox91@anche.no> wrote:

> The main question is: what would you like to have on this dashboard?
> Currently (in the development version) there's the possibility to
> login and watch/unwatch packages/categories/herds/... and see the
> watched stuff in the account dashboard. We're planning on
> implementing a weekly(?) custom newsletter based on the packages
> you're watching, which features would you like?

RSS/atom feeds as an alternative to the newsletter.

> The project repo for the GSoC is here:
> https://github.com/volpino/euscan

Is the development version running somewhere already so we could play
with it a bit?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

> The main question is: what would you like to have on this dashboard?

Not only the information whether ~arch is outdated, but also whether stable is
outdated...

> custom newsletter based on the packages you're watching,

please also as rss feed...

cheers,
andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 AM
"Federico "fox" Scrinzi"

On 27/06/2012 16:33, Michał Górny wrote:
> Is the development version running somewhere already so we could play
> with it a bit?

For now is not available unfortunately We'll try to set it up!

Thank you everybody for your feedback! The RSS feed is already
implemented globally, we'll just tweak it to have a per user feed.

I didn't considered the fact of separate stable and unstable but it's
indeed a really cool feature.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Michael Palimaka

[...]

Looking forward to seeing the improvements.

I'd like to see the information regarding current tree state updated
more regularly than the full upstream scan. Especially when looking at
the herd view, it can be hard to keep track of which bumps have already
been completed.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

> I'd like to see the information regarding current tree state updated
> more regularly than the full upstream scan. Especially when looking at
> the herd view, it can be hard to keep track of which bumps have already
> been completed.

Good idea- it should be much cheaper to do the tree update than to re-scan
upstream...

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:29:49 +0200
Michael Weber <xmw@gentoo.org> wrote:

> - - a Report problem machanism.
> i.e. on http://euscan.iksaif.net/maintainers/48/ there's an
> inconsistency between both "upstream" and "version in gentoo"
> being 2012.2.0 but there's still a light red marker.

And in the same spirit, a way to report when the scans generate false
positives in version matching.

jer

Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Kent Fredric

On 27 June 2012 19:51, Federico "fox" Scrinzi <fox91@anche.no> wrote:
> The main question is: what would you like to have on this dashboard?
> Currently (in the development version) there's the possibility to login
> and watch/unwatch packages/categories/herds/... and see the watched
> stuff in the account dashboard. We're planning on implementing a
> weekly(?) custom newsletter based on the packages you're watching, which
> features would you like?
>
> The project repo for the GSoC is here: https://github.com/volpino/euscan
>
> Thanks!

For the most part it seems to get upstream / portage versioning right,
but occasionally you get miss-matches for some reason.

It would be nice to allow to provide some mapping mechanism that
existed on the overlay itself to inform euscan how to map upstream
versions to downstream ones, but implementing that would be far too
complex I feel.

Instead, it would be nice to have a mechanism in the interface to set
a "Upstream version is" value for each package if euscan can't tell.

Ie:

http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/HTML-TreeBuilder-LibXML/

Upstream is 0.71 , portage is ( normalised ) to 0.710.0 , and these
are in fact the same version. So in 0.710.0 , it would be nice to be
able to set the upstream version manually to 0.71 so that euscan no
longer reported it as outdated.

http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/Authen-SASL-Cyrus-server/

0.13 == 0.13-serve

http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/Module-Extract-Namespaces/

0.140.200_rc == 0.14_0.2

http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/Math-BaseCnv/
http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/XML-Tidy/

1.8 == 1.8.B59BrZ
1.8 == 1.8.B2AMvd

( Upstream for those 2 packages have a versioning scheme tantamount to
intolerable cruelty.
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=60275 )

http://euscan.iksaif.net/package/dev-perl/Perl-Critic-Moose/
0.999.2_rc == 0.999._002