Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Rich Freeman

Default ewarn and package upgrades

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM, <portage@localhost> wrote:
> WARN: postinst
> Please rebuild both libxcb and xcb-util if you are upgrading from version 1.6

I've read enough warnings like this (many packages use them) that it
occurred to me that perhaps there should be some better way of dealing
with this.

I realize we have a huge discussion going on about suggested depends
and such which could resolve it long-term. If that really doesn't
work out, then perhaps at least it would be useful if it were obvious
in ELOG messages what the old and new version were, or some other
stopgap measure. Bonus points if the ebuild can figure it out and
only generate the warning conditionally, but I'd be happy if I could
just delete the message without having to figure out what version I
was previously running...

Rich

Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Ralph Sennhauser

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:40:02 -0400
Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM, <portage@localhost> wrote:
> > WARN: postinst
> > Please rebuild both libxcb and xcb-util if you are upgrading from
> > version 1.6
> >

> I've read enough warnings like this (many packages use them) that it
> occurred to me that perhaps there should be some better way of dealing
> with this.
>
> I realize we have a huge discussion going on about suggested depends
> and such which could resolve it long-term. If that really doesn't
> work out, then perhaps at least it would be useful if it were obvious
> in ELOG messages what the old and new version were, or some other
> stopgap measure. Bonus points if the ebuild can figure it out and
> only generate the warning conditionally, but I'd be happy if I could
> just delete the message without having to figure out what version I
> was previously running...
>
> Rich

REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION added in EAPI 4 can be used
to do this things with elog messages.