Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Peter Stuge

Default dev-libs/libusbx:1 the default provider for virtual/libusb:1 (for ~arch)

Hi Mike, list,

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > Fedora rawhide and ArchLinux switched to libusbx and followed
> > suit in our virtual/libusb:1.
>
> sad that we can't get these things merged. maybe we need to
> convince dsd to hand over the reigns ?

It seems that some don't know that dsd made me co-maintainer in
libusb some months after he created the 1.0.8 release.

I've been working hard on libusb since before 1.0.8. I joined libusb
in 2004 and was already asked by Johannes (the 0.1 author) to be
maintainer in 2007, but declined.

The fork is a long story. I commented in the Arch ticket for their
switch, and the libusbx lead maintainer replied there today. I also
had a chat with Samuli and marienz@g.o on IRC about keeping libusb
as the default provider for virtual/libusb:1.

I'm working on a blog post with what I think are some key facts for
everyone with an interest in the libusb API. The fork is, like the
libusb-1.0.9 release, a month old, and of course there was a sudden
surge in activity when Hans (Fedora libusb package maintainer and
now libusbx maintainer) blogged about the fork, which I wasn't quite
prepared for. Hold on, more information coming shortly.

Thanks

//Peter