Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 PM
William Hubbs

Default rfc: OpenRC Networking Scripts

All,

I realize this has been discussed and there are definite opinions about
which method works well. So, I want to take a different approach.

Is there any interest in documenting and supporting newnet along side
oldnet as opposed to killing newnet?

Newnet would consist of the "network" init script to set up your
loopback interface along with something like dhcpcd, networkmanager,
or wicd (and wpa_supplicant for wireless interfaces) running in
standalone mode to manage your other interfaces.

My understanding of the way newnet works is that the big advantage would
come for workstations that have a simple network setup and where users
would want hotplugged interfaces to just work.

Any thoughts?

William

Old 05-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Ian Stakenvicius

Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM
William Hubbs

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:49:07AM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:

> On 26/05/12 03:40 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I realize this has been discussed and there are definite opinions
> > about which method works well. So, I want to take a different
> > approach.
> >
> > Is there any interest in documenting and supporting newnet along
> > side oldnet as opposed to killing newnet?
> >
> > Newnet would consist of the "network" init script to set up your
> > loopback interface along with something like dhcpcd,
> > networkmanager, or wicd (and wpa_supplicant for wireless
> > interfaces) running in standalone mode to manage your other
> > interfaces.
> >
> > My understanding of the way newnet works is that the big advantage
> > would come for workstations that have a simple network setup and
> > where users would want hotplugged interfaces to just work.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > William
> >

> Just want to point out that my hotplugged interfaces work great with
> oldnet.

Actually they don't, because we don't make or remove the net.* symlinks
in /etc/init.d for the hotplugged interfaces when the interfaces are
added or removed.

William

Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Ian Stakenvicius