FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 AM
hasufell
 
Default review required by herd? (new ebuild)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Due to bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417117
it seems the situation on this topic is unclear.

I myself don't have a problem with getting my ebuilds reviewed if the
herd requires that before I commit them and have done this already a
few times.

More eyes/maintainers means higher quality IMO.

However I didn't get a definite answer if it's actually a REQUIREMENT
to get a review by a herd, especially when you do not plan to add that
herd to metadata.xml and plan to maintain the ebuild on your own.

This seems to be especially controversial regarding games in the main
tree (I myself always join #gentoo-games anyway and discuss the
ebuilds there).

What's the official policy, so everyone can be clear about this?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPwCTCAAoJEFpvPKfnPDWz+ZUIAJuZvONQko VHAFC+HPEdMnui
/HTcNQC04RaS3TGHo3AdNRyYczTOfK0IjtMsktL+TcKlNgXRSNp +F6Tb7jakeH4G
utXegWJnziKcJtFxvAyNB8rh0QP5AxrdZjzIddRz58UcarhzyH 5f8z8v0uLESg78
ifwuH1Em97HoGVVvFE7U00C0BJSSyNmCxLiMgdxCKD3hmy7hgH +N4X+rKPDnBsnh
jK6BbOPQCUBHiiCWOgK8yJDShq79U0no5E0gzfSJQBXlTu4xqv yITYnEj5OMUfW9
M3s3uRBZmkvRf9qLB9rF0ud0fKEQj5Kde4toroNalrsoljh/Jgz/ErZADU8WJtg=
=0tqO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default review required by herd? (new ebuild)

On Sat, 26 May 2012 02:33:06 +0200
hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:

> What's the official policy, so everyone can be clear about this?

It's not a requirement, except when it is.

Some projects are territorial. Games is one. I imagine adding something
to kde, gnome, or xfce categories without contacting those guys would get you
an email. If in doubt I usually file a bug when I'm adding a package and CC
them. If they don't respond, I add it.

So there is no general requirement to get a review unless the project in
question has said otherwise. When in doubt, ask.


PS. herds are groups of packages. think sheep. teams/projects manage
the herds.


--
fonts, gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets
@ gentoo.org
 
Old 05-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default review required by herd? (new ebuild)

On Friday 25 May 2012 23:23:30 Ryan Hill wrote:
> ...

what Ryan said
-mike
 
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Rich Freeman
 
Default review required by herd? (new ebuild)

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Some projects are territorial. *Games is one. *I imagine adding something
> to kde, gnome, or xfce categories without contacting those guys would get you
> an email. *If in doubt I usually file a bug when I'm adding a package and CC
> them. *If they don't respond, I add it.

Perhaps, but in general devs should be fairly free to add new packages
to the tree as long as they properly maintain them. If a dev makes a
mistake with a newly-added package, then file a bug and they can fix
it. If there is a dispute over whether something is a bug then we
have QA/Devrel/council/etc.

That said, things work best when everybody cooperates, so if the
maintainer and a project can get along that is fine. If not, then
that's what Devrel/Council is for.

In that bug it was suggested that the Council doesn't get involved
with projects. I'm not quite sure in that case why we'd even bother
to have a Council. I view the Council like the Supreme Court - the
lower courts (projects) can do things however seems best, but if
things get out of hand you can always appeal. Most of the time the
Council will just let the projects run things, but in general I think
they should have fairly absolute control over the distro, since they
are an elected body (alongside the Trustees which has a different but
perhaps overlapping domain).

Rich
 
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM
hasufell
 
Default review required by herd? (new ebuild)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/26/2012 05:23 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012 02:33:06 +0200 hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> What's the official policy, so everyone can be clear about this?
>
> It's not a requirement, except when it is.
>
> Some projects are territorial. Games is one. I imagine adding
> something to kde, gnome, or xfce categories without contacting
> those guys would get you an email. If in doubt I usually file a
> bug when I'm adding a package and CC them. If they don't respond,
> I add it.
>
> So there is no general requirement to get a review unless the
> project in question has said otherwise. When in doubt, ask.
>
>
> PS. herds are groups of packages. think sheep. teams/projects
> manage the herds.
>
>

Ok.

Does this maybe lack documentation? (i.e. under Developer hierarchy)

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPwMqZAAoJEFpvPKfnPDWzzmUIALFXKGPzKz PkhP+OXc4hSTO2
RMGEaZndpvw2I/WKwsbKc4T0Ge0YhsQR+coEkf6CMRBu078zq/In3WeJY2mQmvge
/dsWWpoVFzudPRCbe10tZJRr9zfQGzrwHRteSmAR+1IqNFXZN5x iz+lUNGotXx2k
Rwybg7CuxKQcWN4YlNBGFu2xbTfADHQjSrUE7kxRAoaxxW8n5W lvnWVLNsN7Iej7
uV4/nvFD8qO3J+y+17gybpkTMTOK57bDpXXHFm9S5CRX7aXuOQhJce zrks9wQ0lJ
iXPP+U9/D5QLlk6WVjnzznKOvsSj93/CgBwEJFwCxmMIldG+U45EpTEGjkJ216k=
=78a1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM
hasufell
 
Default review required by herd? (new ebuild)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 05/26/2012 01:40 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Perhaps, but in general devs should be fairly free to add new
> packages to the tree as long as they properly maintain them. If a
> dev makes a mistake with a newly-added package, then file a bug and
> they can fix it. If there is a dispute over whether something is a
> bug then we have QA/Devrel/council/etc.

That's what I thought.

To be clear: I'm not suggesting that people don't work together.

But my point of view was rather that I have to go strictly by the
projects/herds rules if I want them to be involved in maintenance.
If not then it's my own fault IF it breaks things and I may be
punished for that.

I'm totally clear that I need to contact the herd when I add it to
metadata.xml, but that was not the question.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPwM1JAAoJEFpvPKfnPDWz7SQH/0+nkqxS5R/gc1Kw/b2gTy6m
PuuSV8ooZTBJhZw8ezdZ8w0qjca3uhm/vo4Z2j8RournKWaBKYq485KJnDAj6Oh5
Toa1ap6/+LvzLxrokxE7RC2vSbto2gkwY7nzy3uYAxrECblupQ7dhXmI6m WIyKcr
33g3YnwilkeIkz86Foj8drPWJby/iHrhccy9i/NDtsXsDNhiPOdikms7MMCwruzI
dViy0YPWdieSh8FAfUewTs5sTpuM4qjht+sCaZMo/87VmLQWKMW1qWf9Blz+rKhw
U/q5bLN/jr5b8hijPtCeQyFVnH+a9K6SHFf1+N+rcuJNYceY7NaBu3izwL eBxWY=
=7unU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org