Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Fabio Erculiani

Default Do we need games group and all that game prefixes?

I second that.
simplicity = win.

--
Fabio Erculiani

Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Maxim Kammerer

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> - changing ownership and permissions of all the files.

As a side note: why is /usr/games owned by uid "games"? Does
games_pkg_setup() in games.eclass do that? What's the point of user
"games" (as opposed to group with same name)?

> Do we really need all of this poor man's 'you shall not play our
> games'? I don't think we're using anything like /usr/office & office
> group, or /usr/random-programs-i-dont-like.

Games are rather unique in that they sometimes keep scores across
multiple users.

> Random obscurity only makes things harder. And proves no point unless
> we're going to ensure that all web browsers, ssh clients and other
> applications in danger of being used to play games.

Sometimes users do not have Internet access or even ability to connect
removable media.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)

Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Dan Douglas

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 06:26:17 PM Michał Górny wrote:
> Do we really need all of this poor man's 'you shall not play our
> games'? I don't think we're using anything like /usr/office & office
> group, or /usr/random-programs-i-dont-like.

I'd put money on there not being a single admin who has ever used the games
group to control access to games. Games really have no business being on a
system where anything like that is a requirement to begin with.

> So, my proposition is: finally drop that. Install games in regular
> prefixes, like all other apps. Don't pollute systems with unnecessary
> security perimeters which don't provide any real benefit.
>
> Any comments?

Is there any way to keep the games group around while not doing the weird
intrusive installation prefix? I have always disliked the prefix and don't see
the point of it.

However, requiring a special group for games restricts access by certain
unprivileged programs which run as their own user/group for security reasons,
thus providing a very slight security benefit. Or someone may have a user they
use which doesn't require access to nonessential programs like games, which
tend to be big complex programs less well-audited for security bugs.
--
Dan Douglas