Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Michał Górny

Default Do we need games group and all that game prefixes?

Hello,

In today's MythBusters™: do we actually need the whole ugly-awful
mangling games.eclass does for games? By that I mean:
- installing games in random pre-/postfixes rather than standard FHS-y
locations,
- changing ownership and permissions of all the files.

Do we really need all of this poor man's 'you shall not play our
games'? I don't think we're using anything like /usr/office & office
group, or /usr/random-programs-i-dont-like.

Random obscurity only makes things harder. And proves no point unless
we're going to ensure that all web browsers, ssh clients and other
applications in danger of being used to play games. And while we're at
it, why don't we just take the computer away and work on paper sheets?
Oh wait, someone could play tic-tac-toe on it...

So, my proposition is: finally drop that. Install games in regular
prefixes, like all other apps. Don't pollute systems with unnecessary
security perimeters which don't provide any real benefit.

Any comments?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny