FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the package
uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is how autoreconf
itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break any packages (at least, none
that weren't already broken), but if you guys start seeing eautoreconf
failures where there were none before, feel free to cc base-system.
-mike

--- autotools.eclass
+++ autotools.eclass
@@ -162,6 +162,9 @@ eautoreconf() {
einfo "Running eautoreconf in '${PWD}' ..."
[[ -n ${auxdir}${macdir} ]] && mkdir -p ${auxdir} ${macdir}
eaclocal
+ if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
+ eautopoint --force
+ fi
[[ ${CHOST} == *-darwin* ]] && g=g
if ${LIBTOOLIZE:-${g}libtoolize} -n --install >& /dev/null ; then
_elibtoolize --copy --force --install
 
Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the package
> uses gettext. *the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is how
> autoreconf
> itself does it. *this hopefully shouldn't break any packages (at least,
> none
> that weren't already broken), but if you guys start seeing eautoreconf
> failures where there were none before, feel free to cc base-system.

We went through this cycle in the GNOME team while working on live ebuilds.

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=eclass/gnome2-live.eclass;h=897adf863cb3f653ed96f45b14b637f7af65 1b1a;hb=HEAD#l110

You might want to cherry-pick some of those?

Cheers,

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team
 
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Alexandre Rostovtsev
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 06:32 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the package
> uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is how autoreconf
> itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break any packages (at least, none
> that weren't already broken), but if you guys start seeing eautoreconf
> failures where there were none before, feel free to cc base-system.
> -mike
>
> --- autotools.eclass
> +++ autotools.eclass
> @@ -162,6 +162,9 @@ eautoreconf() {
> einfo "Running eautoreconf in '${PWD}' ..."
> [[ -n ${auxdir}${macdir} ]] && mkdir -p ${auxdir} ${macdir}
> eaclocal
> + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> + eautopoint --force
> + fi
> [[ ${CHOST} == *-darwin* ]] && g=g
> if ${LIBTOOLIZE:-${g}libtoolize} -n --install >& /dev/null ; then
> _elibtoolize --copy --force --install

This change broke many gnome-related packages, see bug #416789. You
cannot assume that every package that uses AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION wants
(just) autopoint; there are also packages that use intltool (to be run
after autopoint) or glib-gettext (in which case autopoint should not be
used at all).

Unless there are major nacks, I intend to apply the following patch
today in order to unbreak gnome. The patch follows the logic in
gnome2-live.eclass (in the gnome overlay) and gnome-autogen.sh, and is
therefore known to work.

Note that the patch adds a build dependency on intltool by default. This
should not be a problem because (1) intltool is keyworded everywhere,
and (2) basically every gentoo build machine already has it installed.

Index: autotools.eclass
================================================== =================
RCS file: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/eclass/autotools.eclass,v
retrieving revision 1.138
diff -u -r1.138 autotools.eclass
--- autotools.eclass 20 May 2012 13:01:22 -0000 1.138
+++ autotools.eclass 21 May 2012 06:31:48 -0000
@@ -28,6 +28,11 @@
# The major version of automake your package needs
: ${WANT_AUTOMAKE:=latest}

+# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_INTLTOOL
+# @DESCRIPTION:
+# Do you want intltool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
+: ${WANT_INTLTOOL:=latest}
+
# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_LIBTOOL
# @DESCRIPTION:
# Do you want libtool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
@@ -77,6 +82,16 @@
export WANT_AUTOCONF
fi

+_intltool_atom="dev-util/intltool"
+if [[ -n ${WANT_INTLTOOL} ]] ; then
+ case ${WANT_INTLTOOL} in
+ none) _intltool_atom="" ;;
+ latest) ;;
+ *) die "Invalid WANT_INTLTOOL value '${WANT_INTLTOOL}'" ;;
+ esac
+ export WANT_LIBTOOL
+fi
+
_libtool_atom="sys-devel/libtool"
if [[ -n ${WANT_LIBTOOL} ]] ; then
case ${WANT_LIBTOOL} in
@@ -87,7 +102,7 @@
export WANT_LIBTOOL
fi

-AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
+AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_intltool_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
RDEPEND=""

# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: AUTOTOOLS_AUTO_DEPEND
@@ -163,9 +178,13 @@
[[ -n ${m4dirs} ]] && mkdir -p ${m4dirs}

eaclocal
- if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
+ # Follow gnome2-live.eclass and gnome-autogen.sh logic; bug #416789
+ if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? && ! grep -q '^AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' configure.?? ; then
eautopoint --force
fi
+ if grep -q "^AC_PROG_INTLTOOL|^IT_PROG_INTLTOOL" configure.?? ; then
+ autotools_run_tool intltoolize --force --copy --automake
+ fi
_elibtoolize --install --copy --force
eautoconf
eautoheader
 
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Alexandre Rostovtsev
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 02:41 -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> Index: autotools.eclass
> ================================================== =================
> RCS file: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/eclass/autotools.eclass,v
> retrieving revision 1.138
> diff -u -r1.138 autotools.eclass
> --- autotools.eclass 20 May 2012 13:01:22 -0000 1.138
> +++ autotools.eclass 21 May 2012 06:31:48 -0000
> @@ -28,6 +28,11 @@
> # The major version of automake your package needs
> : ${WANT_AUTOMAKE:=latest}
>
> +# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_INTLTOOL
> +# @DESCRIPTION:
> +# Do you want intltool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
> +: ${WANT_INTLTOOL:=latest}
> +
> # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_LIBTOOL
> # @DESCRIPTION:
> # Do you want libtool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
> @@ -77,6 +82,16 @@
> export WANT_AUTOCONF
> fi
>
> +_intltool_atom="dev-util/intltool"
> +if [[ -n ${WANT_INTLTOOL} ]] ; then
> + case ${WANT_INTLTOOL} in
> + none) _intltool_atom="" ;;
> + latest) ;;
> + *) die "Invalid WANT_INTLTOOL value '${WANT_INTLTOOL}'" ;;
> + esac
> + export WANT_LIBTOOL

Sorry, typo; should be

export WANT_INTLTOOL

> +fi
> +
> _libtool_atom="sys-devel/libtool"
> if [[ -n ${WANT_LIBTOOL} ]] ; then
> case ${WANT_LIBTOOL} in
> @@ -87,7 +102,7 @@
> export WANT_LIBTOOL
> fi
>
> -AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
> +AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_intltool_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
> RDEPEND=""
>
> # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: AUTOTOOLS_AUTO_DEPEND
> @@ -163,9 +178,13 @@
> [[ -n ${m4dirs} ]] && mkdir -p ${m4dirs}
>
> eaclocal
> - if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> + # Follow gnome2-live.eclass and gnome-autogen.sh logic; bug #416789
> + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? && ! grep -q '^AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' configure.?? ; then
> eautopoint --force
> fi
> + if grep -q "^AC_PROG_INTLTOOL|^IT_PROG_INTLTOOL" configure.?? ; then
> + autotools_run_tool intltoolize --force --copy --automake
> + fi
> _elibtoolize --install --copy --force
> eautoconf
> eautoheader
>
>
 
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Pacho Ramos
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

El lun, 21-05-2012 a las 02:41 -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev escribiˇ:
> On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 06:32 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the package
> > uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is how autoreconf
> > itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break any packages (at least, none
> > that weren't already broken), but if you guys start seeing eautoreconf
> > failures where there were none before, feel free to cc base-system.
> > -mike
> >
[...]
> eaclocal
> - if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> + # Follow gnome2-live.eclass and gnome-autogen.sh logic; bug #416789
> + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? && ! grep -q '^AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' configure.?? ; then
> eautopoint --force
> fi
> + if grep -q "^AC_PROG_INTLTOOL|^IT_PROG_INTLTOOL" configure.?? ; then
> + autotools_run_tool intltoolize --force --copy --automake
> + fi
> _elibtoolize --install --copy --force
> eautoconf
> eautoheader
>
>
>

With this change, we can start to no longer call "intltoolize --force
--copy --automake" directly in ebuilds I guess, no?
 
Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Monday 21 May 2012 02:41:18 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 06:32 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the
> > package uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is
> > how autoreconf itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break any
> > packages (at least, none that weren't already broken), but if you guys
> > start seeing eautoreconf failures where there were none before, feel
> > free to cc base-system. -mike
> >
> > --- autotools.eclass
> > +++ autotools.eclass
> > @@ -162,6 +162,9 @@ eautoreconf() {
> >
> > einfo "Running eautoreconf in '${PWD}' ..."
> > [[ -n ${auxdir}${macdir} ]] && mkdir -p ${auxdir} ${macdir}
> > eaclocal
> >
> > + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> > + eautopoint --force
> > + fi
> >
> > [[ ${CHOST} == *-darwin* ]] && g=g
> > if ${LIBTOOLIZE:-${g}libtoolize} -n --install >& /dev/null ; then
> >
> > _elibtoolize --copy --force --install
>
> This change broke many gnome-related packages, see bug #416789. You
> cannot assume that every package that uses AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION wants
> (just) autopoint;

two things:
- eautoreconf acts like autoreconf which means it can assume that use of
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION implies use of `autopoint`
- it doesn't assume *just* autopoint -- nothing is stopping you from running
any other random tools you like (such as intltool)

> there are also packages that use intltool (to be run
> after autopoint) or glib-gettext (in which case autopoint should not be
> used at all).

so attempting to run `autoreconf` in those packages fails ?

> +# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_INTLTOOL
> +# @DESCRIPTION:
> +# Do you want intltool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
> +: ${WANT_INTLTOOL:=latest}
> ...
> +_intltool_atom="dev-util/intltool"
> +if [[ -n ${WANT_INTLTOOL} ]] ; then
> + case ${WANT_INTLTOOL} in
> + none) _intltool_atom="" ;;
> + latest) ;;
> + *) die "Invalid WANT_INTLTOOL value '${WANT_INTLTOOL}'" ;;
> + esac
> + export WANT_LIBTOOL
> +fi
> ...
> -AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
> +AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_intltool_atom}

no. this adds intltool as a dependency to every package inherting this
eclass.
-mike
 
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Alexandre Rostovtsev
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 11:36 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2012 02:41:18 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 06:32 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the
> > > package uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is
> > > how autoreconf itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break any
> > > packages (at least, none that weren't already broken), but if you guys
> > > start seeing eautoreconf failures where there were none before, feel
> > > free to cc base-system. -mike
> > >
> > > --- autotools.eclass
> > > +++ autotools.eclass
> > > @@ -162,6 +162,9 @@ eautoreconf() {
> > >
> > > einfo "Running eautoreconf in '${PWD}' ..."
> > > [[ -n ${auxdir}${macdir} ]] && mkdir -p ${auxdir} ${macdir}
> > > eaclocal
> > >
> > > + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> > > + eautopoint --force
> > > + fi
> > >
> > > [[ ${CHOST} == *-darwin* ]] && g=g
> > > if ${LIBTOOLIZE:-${g}libtoolize} -n --install >& /dev/null ; then
> > >
> > > _elibtoolize --copy --force --install
> >
> > This change broke many gnome-related packages, see bug #416789. You
> > cannot assume that every package that uses AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION wants
> > (just) autopoint;
>
> two things:
> - eautoreconf acts like autoreconf which means it can assume that use of
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION implies use of `autopoint`
> - it doesn't assume *just* autopoint -- nothing is stopping you from running
> any other random tools you like (such as intltool)

Changing eautoreconf's behavior to exactly match vanilla autoconf may
make sense from your point of view as an autotools maintainer, but it
breaks ebuilds that do not want vanilla autoconf semantics and that are
relying on eautoreconf's old, intltool-friendly behavior.

> > there are also packages that use intltool (to be run
> > after autopoint) or glib-gettext (in which case autopoint should not be
> > used at all).
>
> so attempting to run `autoreconf` in those packages fails ?

It results in configure failure. E.g.

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3-r2
[...]
* Running eautoreconf in '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3-r2/work/evolution-data-server-3.2.3' ...
* Running aclocal -I m4 ... [ ok ]
* Running autopoint --force ... [ ok ]
* Running libtoolize --install --copy --force --automake ... [ ok ]
* Running aclocal -I m4 ... [ ok ]
* Running autoconf ... [ ok ]
* Running autoheader ... [ ok ]
* Running automake --add-missing --copy --foreign ... [ ok ]
* Running elibtoolize in: evolution-data-server-3.2.3/
* Applying portage/1.2.0 patch ...
* Applying sed/1.5.6 patch ...
* Fixing OMF Makefiles ... [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3-r2/work/evolution-data-server-3.2.3 ...
[...]
config.status: executing po-directories commands
config.status: creating po/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/Makefile
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing po/stamp-it commands
config.status: error: po/Makefile.in.in was not created by intltoolize.

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3-r2/work/evolution-data-server-3.2.3/config.log
* ERROR: gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.2.3-r2 failed (configure phase):
* econf failed

> > +# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_INTLTOOL
> > +# @DESCRIPTION:
> > +# Do you want intltool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
> > +: ${WANT_INTLTOOL:=latest}
> > ...
> > +_intltool_atom="dev-util/intltool"
> > +if [[ -n ${WANT_INTLTOOL} ]] ; then
> > + case ${WANT_INTLTOOL} in
> > + none) _intltool_atom="" ;;
> > + latest) ;;
> > + *) die "Invalid WANT_INTLTOOL value '${WANT_INTLTOOL}'" ;;
> > + esac
> > + export WANT_LIBTOOL
> > +fi
> > ...
> > -AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
> > +AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_intltool_atom}
>
> no. this adds intltool as a dependency to every package inherting this
> eclass.

Why is that unacceptable? Realistically, every Gentoo machine, with the
exception of pure deployment installations that don't build any packages
(and therefore don't care about autotools.eclass anyway), already has
intltool installed.

-Alexandre.
 
Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Monday 21 May 2012 12:08:21 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 11:36 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 21 May 2012 02:41:18 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 06:32 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > > i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the
> > > > package uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this
> > > > is how autoreconf itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break
> > > > any packages (at least, none that weren't already broken), but if
> > > > you guys start seeing eautoreconf failures where there were none
> > > > before, feel free to cc base-system. -mike
> > > >
> > > > --- autotools.eclass
> > > > +++ autotools.eclass
> > > > @@ -162,6 +162,9 @@ eautoreconf() {
> > > >
> > > > einfo "Running eautoreconf in '${PWD}' ..."
> > > > [[ -n ${auxdir}${macdir} ]] && mkdir -p ${auxdir} ${macdir}
> > > > eaclocal
> > > >
> > > > + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> > > > + eautopoint --force
> > > > + fi
> > > >
> > > > [[ ${CHOST} == *-darwin* ]] && g=g
> > > > if ${LIBTOOLIZE:-${g}libtoolize} -n --install >& /dev/null ;then
> > > >
> > > > _elibtoolize --copy --force --install
> > >
> > > This change broke many gnome-related packages, see bug #416789. You
> > > cannot assume that every package that uses AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION wants
> > > (just) autopoint;
> >
> > two things:
> > - eautoreconf acts like autoreconf which means it can assume that use of
> > AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION implies use of `autopoint`
> > - it doesn't assume *just* autopoint -- nothing is stopping you from
> > running any other random tools you like (such as intltool)
>
> Changing eautoreconf's behavior to exactly match vanilla autoconf may
> make sense from your point of view as an autotools maintainer, but it
> breaks ebuilds that do not want vanilla autoconf semantics and that are
> relying on eautoreconf's old, intltool-friendly behavior.

it still makes sense. i don't have a problem integrating a call to intltool,
but your proposed code isn't the way to go.

> > > there are also packages that use intltool (to be run
> > > after autopoint) or glib-gettext (in which case autopoint should not be
> > > used at all).
> >
> > so attempting to run `autoreconf` in those packages fails ?
>
> It results in configure failure. E.g.

so the answer is "yes, these packages fail to work with `autoreconf`"

> > > +# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: WANT_INTLTOOL
> > > +# @DESCRIPTION:
> > > +# Do you want intltool? Valid values here are "latest" and "none".
> > > +: ${WANT_INTLTOOL:=latest}
> > > ...
> > > +_intltool_atom="dev-util/intltool"
> > > +if [[ -n ${WANT_INTLTOOL} ]] ; then
> > > + case ${WANT_INTLTOOL} in
> > > + none) _intltool_atom="" ;;
> > > + latest) ;;
> > > + *) die "Invalid WANT_INTLTOOL value '${WANT_INTLTOOL}'" ;;
> > > + esac
> > > + export WANT_LIBTOOL
> > > +fi
> > > ...
> > > -AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_libtool_atom}"
> > > +AUTOTOOLS_DEPEND="${_automake_atom} ${_autoconf_atom} ${_intltool_atom}
> >
> > no. this adds intltool as a dependency to every package inherting this
> > eclass.
>
> Why is that unacceptable?

fairly obvious why

> Realistically, every Gentoo machine, with the exception of pure deployment
> installations that don't build any packages (and therefore don't care about
> autotools.eclass anyway), already has intltool installed.

extending the set of machines that you care about to include all setups is
obviously wrong (i certainly have machines that "build packages" that don't
have intltool installed). and even if that wasn't true, it'd be entirely
irrelevant. spurious dependencies are not acceptable.
-mike
 
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Monday 21 May 2012 02:41:18 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 06:32 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i've extended eautoreconf to automatically call autopoint when the
> > package uses gettext. the configure check might seem na´ve, but this is
> > how autoreconf itself does it. this hopefully shouldn't break any
> > packages (at least, none that weren't already broken), but if you guys
> > start seeing eautoreconf failures where there were none before, feel
> > free to cc base-system. -mike
> >
> > --- autotools.eclass
> > +++ autotools.eclass
> > @@ -162,6 +162,9 @@ eautoreconf() {
> >
> > einfo "Running eautoreconf in '${PWD}' ..."
> > [[ -n ${auxdir}${macdir} ]] && mkdir -p ${auxdir} ${macdir}
> > eaclocal
> >
> > + if grep -q '^AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' configure.?? ; then
> > + eautopoint --force
> > + fi
> >
> > [[ ${CHOST} == *-darwin* ]] && g=g
> > if ${LIBTOOLIZE:-${g}libtoolize} -n --install >& /dev/null ; then
> >
> > _elibtoolize --copy --force --install
>
> This change broke many gnome-related packages, see bug #416789

should be fixed:
http://sources.gentoo.org/eclass/autotools.eclass?r1=1.139&r2=1.140

end packages that use intltoolize must depend on it themselves
-mike
 
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Alexandre Rostovtsev
 
Default autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 13:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2012 12:08:21 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> > Realistically, every Gentoo machine, with the exception of pure deployment
> > installations that don't build any packages (and therefore don't care about
> > autotools.eclass anyway), already has intltool installed.
>
> extending the set of machines that you care about to include all setups is
> obviously wrong (i certainly have machines that "build packages" that don't
> have intltool installed). and even if that wasn't true, it'd be entirely
> irrelevant. spurious dependencies are not acceptable.
> -mike

I apologize; I must have run "equery d intltool" while experimenting
with a patched autotools.eclass, and that led me to grossly overestimate
the number of packages depending on intltool.

So you are correct, many Gentoo machines do not have any reason to have
intltool installed.

-Alexandre.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ę2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org