Old 05-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Vratislav Podzimek

Default NTP switch functionality

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 10:55 -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 05:18:03PM +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> > These patches for anaconda and lorax introduce the NTP functionality in the
> > installer. However, we also need to set up these things on the installed system
> > and I think that we should also add a kickstart command for enabling NTP.
> > Suggestions?
>
> kickstart already has the 'services' command, is there any reason that
> won't work for this?
Well, it's not much intuitive. But I was thinking about renaming
timezone command to something like "time" that would be able to set both
timezone and NTP. This seems to me more intuitive.

--
Vratislav Podzimek <vpodzime@redhat.com>

Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Chris Lumens

> Well, it's not much intuitive. But I was thinking about renaming
> timezone command to something like "time" that would be able to set both
> timezone and NTP. This seems to me more intuitive.

Renaming commands isn't any fun, and I'd like to not do it if we can at
all get away with it. Could we not just add some "--use-ntp" flag to
the existing timezone command? It might not be completely obvious, but
we'll document it.

- Chris

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Chris Lumens

> These patches for anaconda and lorax introduce the NTP functionality in the
> installer. However, we also need to set up these things on the installed system
> and I think that we should also add a kickstart command for enabling NTP.
> Suggestions?

I think I commented on this earlier, suggesting it would be fine to just
add some sort of flag to the existing timezone command. Renaming the
command is annoying in pykickstart unless you want to keep the old
command around forever anyway, and I bet the users would find it a
little confusing too.

- Chris

Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Vratislav Podzimek

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 16:13 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > These patches for anaconda and lorax introduce the NTP functionality in the
> > installer. However, we also need to set up these things on the installed system
> > and I think that we should also add a kickstart command for enabling NTP.
> > Suggestions?
>
> I think I commented on this earlier, suggesting it would be fine to just
> add some sort of flag to the existing timezone command. Renaming the
> command is annoying in pykickstart unless you want to keep the old
> command around forever anyway, and I bet the users would find it a
> little confusing too.
Working on the NTP servers dialog yesterday, I've started thinking about
the 'ntp' command taking servers as arguments. I need a place to store
NTP servers and since the only structure used for the runtime data is
self.data (i.e. ksdata) a new command seems to be the best way.

--
Vratislav Podzimek