Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Zac Medico

Default RFC: Enable FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified by default?

Hi,

In case you aren't familiar with it, here's the description from the
make.conf(5) man page:

This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
have not been modified since they were installed.

I think it would be a good idea to enable this by default, but I thought
I'd ask here first, in case anyone has objections.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Duncan

Zac Medico posted on Tue, 15 May 2012 15:24:53 -0700 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> In case you aren't familiar with it, here's the description from the
> make.conf(5) man page:
>
> This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
> have not been modified since they were installed.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to enable this by default, but I thought
> I'd ask here first, in case anyone has objections.

I've been using this for awhile now (tho IIRC it wasn't /that/ long ago
that I saw it popup as new in the portage changelog =:^), and have been
rather happy with it indeed! =:^)

Among other things, I used to get prompted at I think every update for a
whole slew of mc theme and hotkey file updates, when I never touched
those files. Now I don't have to worry about 'em! =:^) Same thing
(different files of course) with openrc, where I use the -9999 live-git
version and normally update once or twice a week to better track changes
that sometimes negatively affect me.

The best thing about it is not having to worry about missing an important
change in a file I DO change, due to all the noise from files I don't
touch.

So yes, definitely ++ to making it the default, from here! =:^)

Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Fabio Erculiani

I implemented this feature in Entropy long time ago (2009 iirc) and
enabled it by default as well.
We never had a single issue. Users seem quite happy about it.

So yeah, go for it!
--
Fabio Erculiani

Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

> > make.conf(5) man page:
> > This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
> > have not been modified since they were installed.

+1 very good idea

> The best thing about it is not having to worry about missing an important
> change in a file I DO change, due to all the noise from files I don't
> touch.

exactly!!!

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> wrote:
> *This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
> *have not been modified since they were installed.

Yes, please!

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Eray Aslan

On 2012-05-16 12:13 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>>> make.conf(5) man page:
>>> This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that
>>> have not been modified since they were installed.
>
> +1 very good idea

Hmm, does that mean that when a default changes in (or some new setting
is added to) an app config file, I'll get no prompt and no warning
assuming I go with the default settings in the app? That presumes that
the new default or the new setting does not break my setup. That is a
big assumption.

Even if we go with enabling it by default, please have a news item so
that one can turn it off if necessary. Even then, new installs will
have to remember to turn it off.

--
Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org>

Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 16-05-2012 12:36:03 +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:

> > +1 very good idea
>
> Hmm, does that mean that when a default changes in (or some new setting
> is added to) an app config file, I'll get no prompt and no warning
> assuming I go with the default settings in the app? That presumes that
> the new default or the new setting does not break my setup. That is a
> big assumption.

I'd think so, yes

> Even if we go with enabling it by default, please have a news item so
> that one can turn it off if necessary. Even then, new installs will
> have to remember to turn it off.

+1

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Pacho Ramos

El mié, 16-05-2012 a las 11:42 +0200, Fabian Groffen escribió:

> > > +1 very good idea
> >
> > Hmm, does that mean that when a default changes in (or some new setting
> > is added to) an app config file, I'll get no prompt and no warning
> > assuming I go with the default settings in the app? That presumes that
> > the new default or the new setting does not break my setup. That is a
> > big assumption.
>
> I'd think so, yes

But similar assumption applies to current behavior: if a user forgets to
run dispatch-conf after updating and machine is rebooted (by error, due
some power failure, due other users rebooting it...), they will probably
get failures when booting and, for example, some init.d scripts file to
start due obsolete conf.d files being preserved by default.

> > Even if we go with enabling it by default, please have a news item so
> > that one can turn it off if necessary. Even then, new installs will
> > have to remember to turn it off.
>
> +1

But I also agree with releasing a news item for the change of course

Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Fabio Erculiani

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> +1 very good idea
>
> Hmm, does that mean that when a default changes in (or some new setting
> is added to) an app config file, I'll get no prompt and no warning
> assuming I go with the default settings in the app? *That presumes that
> the new default or the new setting does not break my setup. *That is a
> big assumption.

Generally, several PMS (I think apt does it as well) make this assumption:
if config file C owned by package P has never been modified, meaning
that md5 or whatever is the same, the old C of P was fine, so is the
new C.
On the other hand, if the old C has been modified, then the above
assumption is not valid.

This also helps a lot in the scenario where critical configuration
files are not updated before reboot, which might result in an
unbootable system (ouch!).

--
Fabio Erculiani

Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Eray Aslan

On 2012-05-16 12:56 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> Generally, several PMS (I think apt does it as well) make this assumption:
> if config file C owned by package P has never been modified, meaning
> that md5 or whatever is the same, the old C of P was fine, so is the
> new C.

Yep, and I always thought that Gentoo way of dealing with config files
was much better -both compared to .deb and .rpm land- in this regard.
Presenting the diff is a quick and efficient way to highlight the
changes and ask the sysadmin to make the necessary changes if any.

I am not bothered with the (frequency of?) diffs but I guess people are.

> This also helps a lot in the scenario where critical configuration
> files are not updated before reboot, which might result in an
> unbootable system (ouch!).

Well, that is true. If you forget to dispatch-conf, it might bite you.

Anyway, no big deal either way though I prefer the status quo. If we
make the change, make it with enough fanfare that users notice.

--
Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org>