Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Dirkjan Ochtman

Default RFC: new global USE flag: jit

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
<tetromino@gentoo.org> wrote:
> media-sound/csound:luajit - Use the lua just-in-time compiler
> dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua
>
> www-client/luakit:luajit - Use the lua just-in-time compiler
> dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua, which should make luakit
> faster.

Not sure it's a good fit for these two. In the other cases, there
appears to be just a difference in compilation, but this is about
selecting a different dependency.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Maxim Kammerer

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
<tetromino@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Current local flags that could probably be unified:

What about USE=orc? It's JIT in a sense — IIRC, it creates an
executable in /tmp at run-time.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Maxim Kammerer <mk@dee.su> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
> <tetromino@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Current local flags that could probably be unified:
>
> What about USE=orc? It's JIT in a sense — IIRC, it creates an
> executable in /tmp at run-time.

Doesn't make sense to unnecessarily unify USE-flags like that.

"Consolidate just enough, but not too much."

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Alexandre Rostovtsev

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 21:51 +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
> <tetromino@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > media-sound/csound:luajit - Use the lua just-in-time compiler
> > dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua
> >
> > www-client/luakit:luajit - Use the lua just-in-time compiler
> > dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua, which should make luakit
> > faster.
>
> Not sure it's a good fit for these two. In the other cases, there
> appears to be just a difference in compilation, but this is about
> selecting a different dependency.

Good point. Since dev-lang/luajit is the actual name of the selected
package, leaving the flag as luajit makes more sense.

-Alexandre.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM
James Cloos

AR> www-servers/nginxcre-jit - Enable JIT for pcre

This one also should remain un-unified. There may be other, unrelated
jit options in the future, whether affecting nginx itself or potential
PDEPENDs or ???.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Alexandre Rostovtsev

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 14:05 -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> I propose adding the following global USE flag:
>
> jit - Enable just-in-time compilation for improved performance. May
> prevent use of some PaX memory protection features in Gentoo Hardened.
>

> Current local flags that could probably be unified:
>
> app-arch/libzpaq:jit - Enable just-in-time compilation for faster
> compression (requires SSE2)
>
> dev-libs/libpcre:jit - Enable Just-In-Time compilation of regexp
> bytecode to machine code, through the SLJIT compiler. This feature might
> conflict wtih security mitigation strategies such as NX/PaX as enabled
> by Gentoo Hardened.
>
> dev-python/pypy:jit - Enable the JIT compiler
>
> dev-scheme/racket:jit - Enable just-in-time compiler
>
> media-sound/csound:luajit - Use the lua just-in-time compiler
> dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua
>
> net-libs/webkit-gtk:jit - Enable JIT javascript compiler (disabling it
> will cause performance penalty)
>
> www-client/epiphany:jit - Allow using net-libs/webkit-gtk that has the
> JIT javascript compiler enabled
>
> www-client/luakit:luajit - Use the lua just-in-time compiler
> dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua, which should make luakit
> faster.
>
> www-client/seamonkey:methodjit - Enable JIT for JavaScript using
> MethodJIT for faster JS performance. Hardened users can disable this
> USE-flag to use MPROTECT on grsecurity kernels.
>
> www-servers/nginxcre-jit - Enable JIT for pcre
>
> x11-libs/qt-core:jit - Enables JIT for Javascript usage inside Qt
>
> x11-libs/qt-script:jit - Enables JIT for Javascript usage inside Qt
>
> x11-libs/qt-webkit:jit - Enable JavaScriptCore just-in-time compiler for
> faster JavaScript execution
>
> -Alexandre.

Update: since the response to the proposal was favorable, jit has now
been added to use.desc. Two packages, webkit-gtk and epiphany, have
switched to the global flag already; bugs (#416601, #416603, #416605,
#416607, #416609, #416611) have been filed with maintainers of the other
packages most likely to benefit from the new flag.

-Alexandre.