Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Samuli Suominen

Default Proposal of accepting arguments to `default` in src_install (and more?) phases in EAPI=5 (for the next council meeting?)

Example,

- Package is using autotools.
- The default phase like below works for the package:

src_install() {
emake DESTDIR="${D}" install
dodoc README
}

So when writing a new ebuild you would only add:

DOCS="README"

And be done with it. Then the next version of the package needs extra
argument passed to emake install, for example:

src_install() {
emake DESTDIR="${D}" init_d_path="/usr/share/doc/${PF}/examples" install
dodoc README
}

So you are /forced/ to write entire src_install() while you only want to
append one argument to emake install.

The current workaround for this is to use EXTRA_EMAKE from ebuild, but I
find this rather ugly (if not even forbidden by some PMS magic?)

Can we make econf in src_configure, emake in src_compile, and emake
install in src_install accept arguments "$@" in EAPI=5, please?

Relavent bug is http://bugs.gentoo.org/364343

- Samuli

Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> Example,
> - Package is using autotools.
> - The default phase like below works for the package:

> src_install() {
> emake DESTDIR="${D}" install
> dodoc README
> }

> So when writing a new ebuild you would only add:

> DOCS="README"

> And be done with it. Then the next version of the package needs extra
> argument passed to emake install, for example:

> src_install() {
> emake DESTDIR="${D}" init_d_path="/usr/share/doc/${PF}/examples" install
> dodoc README
> }

> So you are /forced/ to write entire src_install() while you only want to
> append one argument to emake install.

> The current workaround for this is to use EXTRA_EMAKE from ebuild, but I
> find this rather ugly (if not even forbidden by some PMS magic?)

EXTRA_EMAKE isn't mentioned by the PMS. Do all package managers
support this variable? Portage does since 2004 at least.

> Can we make econf in src_configure, emake in src_compile, and emake
> install in src_install accept arguments "$@" in EAPI=5, please?

I'd rather document EXTRA_EMAKE and EXTRA_ECONF in the spec, either
retroactively (in case all package managers support these variables
already), or for EAPI 5. It would accomplish the same as your
proposal, even without the need to add an explicit src_install
function.

> Relavent bug is http://bugs.gentoo.org/364343

Ulrich

Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:57:07 +0200
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > The current workaround for this is to use EXTRA_EMAKE from ebuild,
> > but I find this rather ugly (if not even forbidden by some PMS
> > magic?)
>
> EXTRA_EMAKE isn't mentioned by the PMS. Do all package managers
> support this variable? Portage does since 2004 at least.

EXTRA_EMAKE isn't supposed to be mentioned there. It's an internal use
variable for users who need to pass something specific to make.

> > Can we make econf in src_configure, emake in src_compile, and emake
> > install in src_install accept arguments "$@" in EAPI=5, please?
>
> I'd rather document EXTRA_EMAKE and EXTRA_ECONF in the spec, either
> retroactively (in case all package managers support these variables
> already), or for EAPI 5. It would accomplish the same as your
> proposal, even without the need to add an explicit src_install
> function.

As above. Otherwise, we'll end up reimplementing just another variable
to let users pass their custom arguments.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Samuli Suominen

[...]

Yeah, I think we should keep these EXTRA_* for users only and have
something else for the ebuilds

(And I'm sure I don't remember wrong by saying some people have quite
passionately resisted using EXTRA_ECONF within an ebuild in the past for
this exact reasoning)

- Samuli

Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:57:07 +0200
> Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> > The current workaround for this is to use EXTRA_EMAKE from ebuild,
>> > but I find this rather ugly (if not even forbidden by some PMS
>> > magic?)
>>
>> EXTRA_EMAKE isn't mentioned by the PMS. Do all package managers
>> support this variable? Portage does since 2004 at least.

> EXTRA_EMAKE isn't supposed to be mentioned there. It's an internal use
> variable for users who need to pass something specific to make.

You are right, of course. (And this had been clarified before:
<http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_3d25b75236fe4d1e8008998e14fea164.xml>)

I guess the following ebuilds should be fixed then:

eclass/bsdmk.eclass
eclass/python.eclass
eclass/scons-utils.eclass
dev-db/redis/redis-2.2.12.ebuild
dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.4-r1.ebuild
dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.7.ebuild
dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.8.ebuild
dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.10.ebuild
dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.13.ebuild
gnome-base/gconf/gconf-2.32.4.ebuild
net-misc/mico/mico-2.3.13-r5.ebuild
sci-chemistry/ccp4-apps/ccp4-apps-6.1.3-r10.ebuild
sys-fs/udev/udev-171-r5.ebuild

Ulrich

Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM
julian

On 05/12/2012 06:50 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Example,
>
> - Package is using autotools.
> - The default phase like below works for the package:
>
> src_install() {
> emake DESTDIR="${D}" install
> dodoc README
> }
>
> So when writing a new ebuild you would only add:
>
> DOCS="README"
>
> And be done with it. Then the next version of the package needs extra
> argument passed to emake install, for example:
>
> src_install() {
> emake DESTDIR="${D}" init_d_path="/usr/share/doc/${PF}/examples" install
> dodoc README
> }
>
> So you are /forced/ to write entire src_install() while you only want to
> append one argument to emake install.
>
> The current workaround for this is to use EXTRA_EMAKE from ebuild, but I
> find this rather ugly (if not even forbidden by some PMS magic?)
>
> Can we make econf in src_configure, emake in src_compile, and emake
> install in src_install accept arguments "$@" in EAPI=5, please?
>
> Relavent bug is http://bugs.gentoo.org/364343
>
> - Samuli

I find this a good idea and since it's optional it does not add
unnecessary complexity.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM
hasufell

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Duncan

Ulrich Mueller posted on Sat, 12 May 2012 20:39:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 12 May 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
>
>> EXTRA_EMAKE isn't supposed to be mentioned there. It's an internal use
>> variable for users who need to pass something specific to make.
>
> You are right, of course.

> I guess the following ebuilds should be fixed then:
>
> eclass/bsdmk.eclass
> eclass/python.eclass
> eclass/scons-utils.eclass
> dev-db/redis/redis-2.2.12.ebuild
> dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.4-r1.ebuild
> dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.7.ebuild
> dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.8.ebuild
> dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.10.ebuild
> dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.13.ebuild
> gnome-base/gconf/gconf-2.32.4.ebuild
> net-misc/mico/mico-2.3.13-r5.ebuild
> sci-chemistry/ccp4-apps/ccp4-apps-6.1.3-r10.ebuild
> sys-fs/udev/udev-171-r5.ebuild

Ouch, in eclasses too! Yes. If I came across that I'd have filed bugs
immediately, as I actually use EXTRA_* occasionally as a user, myself!
Of course there's also the other PM users who would find these bugs.

Is someone else filing bugs, or should I? Probably a tracker, along with
individual bugs (only one for redis, tho)?

What about a repoman check? Bug for that too?

(If the answer is me do it, please bump me in say 10 days or so if I
don't. I'm having stability problems on my main machine right now. ATA
resets and I've already switched sata card and hard drive. Probably time
for a new mobo/cpus/etc, but no $$ for it. =:^( I may end up netbook-
only, severely restricting gentoo upgrades for awhile!)

Old 05-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

2012-05-14 06:58:30 Duncan napisał(a):
> Ulrich Mueller posted on Sat, 12 May 2012 20:39:05 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > On Sat, 12 May 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
> >
> >> EXTRA_EMAKE isn't supposed to be mentioned there. It's an internal use
> >> variable for users who need to pass something specific to make.
> >
> > You are right, of course.
>
> > I guess the following ebuilds should be fixed then:
> >
> > eclass/bsdmk.eclass
> > eclass/python.eclass
> > eclass/scons-utils.eclass
> > dev-db/redis/redis-2.2.12.ebuild
> > dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.4-r1.ebuild
> > dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.7.ebuild
> > dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.8.ebuild
> > dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.10.ebuild
> > dev-db/redis/redis-2.4.13.ebuild
> > gnome-base/gconf/gconf-2.32.4.ebuild
> > net-misc/mico/mico-2.3.13-r5.ebuild
> > sci-chemistry/ccp4-apps/ccp4-apps-6.1.3-r10.ebuild
> > sys-fs/udev/udev-171-r5.ebuild
>
> Ouch, in eclasses too!

All matches in eclasses and some matches in ebuilds are false positives.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis