Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Alexis Ballier

Default amd64-fbsd profile marked 'stable'

Hi,

I've just marked the profile 'default/bsd/fbsd/amd64/9.0' as 'stable'
in profiles.desc. I've been careful not to keyword anything with broken
deps, and its now forbidden. It is the first g/fbsd profile marked as
such.

Consequences for devs: broken deps are not allowed anymore; people are,
like for standard arches, expected to drop keywords and fill a
rekeywording bug.

Rationale:
- x86-fbsd has been a 'dev' profile for so long that the
majority of the packages have broken deps, meaning moving it to a
'stable' profile is almost impossible. I do not want to repeat this
error for amd64-fbsd
- people usually do not run repoman -d, and as such, it is common to
get (core or not) packages that are uninstallable on g/fbsd. This
wont happen anymore and will make devs and users happier :=)

cons: there's no stable amd64-fbsd keyword, i suppose that if we want
some day to stabilize it, it'll be hard with a 'stable' profile, but we
can temporarily switch it back to 'dev' while doing it, and without
preventing broken deps it'll be almost impossible to do this anyway.

Regards,

A.