Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM
hasufell

Default remove cups from releases/make.defaults ?

# grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"

This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
mandatory useflag.

Is it? I don't even have a printer and expect that profile to be the
very minimum.

This would rather be a useflag for targets/desktop/make.defaults imo.

I see a similar discussion has happened 2 years ago, but I don't see a
solution there.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Ben

On 6 May 2012 04:45, hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:
> # grep ^USE /usr/portage/profiles/releases/make.defaults
> USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly sysfs unicode"
>
> This is used by "/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0" for
> example, so I have "cups" in default NON-DESKTOP profile like it was a
> mandatory useflag.
>
> Is it? I don't even have a printer and expect that profile to be the
> very minimum.
>
> This would rather be a useflag for targets/desktop/make.defaults imo.
>
> I see a similar discussion has happened 2 years ago, but I don't see a
> solution there.

I would argue (and I did 2 years ago) that it doesn't belong even in
the desktop profile. I'm certainly not the only desktop user who
hasn't had a printer in years.

Cheers,
Ben | yngwin

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM