Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Maxim Koltsov

Default RFC: remove ldap from desktop profiles use flags

Hi,
I just installed fresh system on my pc, selected
'default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop' profile and noticed ldap among
default USE flags. Why is that needed? I suppose there are more users
w/o ldap auth on desktops than with it.
So my proposal is to remove it from
profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults. Any objections?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Alec Warner

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed fresh system on my pc, selected
> 'default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop' profile and noticed ldap among
> default USE flags. Why is that needed? I suppose there are more users
> w/o ldap auth on desktops than with it.
> So my proposal is to remove it from
> profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults. Any objections?

So how are you going to avoid destroying machines that rely on it
being on by default?

-A

Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Samuli Suominen

I just installed fresh system on my pc, selected
'default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop' profile and noticed ldap among
default USE flags. Why is that needed? I suppose there are more users
w/o ldap auth on desktops than with it.
So my proposal is to remove it from
profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults. Any objections?

So how are you going to avoid destroying machines that rely on it
being on by default?

-A

An answer to the "But, it has always been like this." is a matter of
issuing a portage news item (glep 42)

(But yeah, I agree we need to be careful with changing the USE flags set
globally by profiles)

Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Maxim Koltsov

2012/5/5 Alec Warner <antarus@gentoo.org>:
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just installed fresh system on my pc, selected
>> 'default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop' profile and noticed ldap among
>> default USE flags. Why is that needed? I suppose there are more users
>> w/o ldap auth on desktops than with it.
>> So my proposal is to remove it from
>> profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults. Any objections?
>>

> So how are you going to avoid destroying machines that rely on it
> being on by default?

Well, i just haven't thought about that. Maybe make news item or
something of this kind. But now when i see this simple removal implies
such consequences, i think i can just live with it, disabling manually

Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Saturday 05 May 2012 13:10:10 Alec Warner wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Maxim Koltsov wrote:
> > I just installed fresh system on my pc, selected
> > 'default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop' profile and noticed ldap among
> > default USE flags. Why is that needed? I suppose there are more users
> > w/o ldap auth on desktops than with it.
> > So my proposal is to remove it from
> > profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults. Any objections?
>
> So how are you going to avoid destroying machines that rely on it
> being on by default?

move it from the desktop/ subdir to the versioned trees like 10.0/ and
2008.0/, and eventually when we create a 11.0/, it'll no longer be the
default.
-mike

Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Markos Chandras

Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
"Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)"

On May 5, 2012 3:14 PM, "Markos Chandras" <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 05/05/2012 06:10 PM, Alec Warner wrote:

> > On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Maxim Koltsov

> > <maksbotan@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> Hi, I just installed fresh system on my pc, selected

> >> 'default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop' profile and noticed ldap among

> >> default USE flags. Why is that needed? I suppose there are more

> >> users w/o ldap auth on desktops than with it. So my proposal is

> >> to remove it from profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults. Any

> >> objections?

> > So how are you going to avoid destroying machines that rely on it

> > being on by default?

> > -A

> Users will note the use flag change when they run "emerge -uDN world"

> and they will add it to their make.conf. I am also in favor of

> dropping ldap from the desktop profiles.

I don't like this change much. There are valid use cases for an ldap use flag in the desktop profile that could break easily with this change.

Also, you could make the same case for adding -ldap to your make.conf

Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Dale

Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) wrote:

> On May 5, 2012 3:14 PM, "Markos Chandras" <hwoarang@gentoo.org
> <mailto:hwoarang@gentoo.org>> wrote:

>> On 05/05/2012 06:10 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
>> >>

>> > So how are you going to avoid destroying machines that rely on it
>> > being on by default?
>> >
>> > -A
>> >
>> Users will note the use flag change when they run "emerge -uDN world"
>> and they will add it to their make.conf. I am also in favor of
>> dropping ldap from the desktop profiles.
>
> I don't like this change much. There are valid use cases for an ldap use
> flag in the desktop profile that could break easily with this change.
>
> Also, you could make the same case for adding -ldap to your make.conf

Not to mention, you add the possibility that the user may miss the
change since they are not expecting it. I would expect it when I was
changing profiles but not so much just coming out of the blue.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Michael Weber

Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Francesco Riosa

2012/5/5 Michael Weber <xmw@gentoo.org>:

> On 05/05/2012 09:55 PM, Dale wrote:
>> Not to mention, you add the possibility that the user may miss the
>> change since they are not expecting it. *I would expect it when I
>> was changing profiles but not so much just coming out of the blue.
>
> We should make emerge -v (display USE flags) non-optional.
> Users should be trained to recognize the green/red use flag changes.

currently portage _does_ show use changed w/o -v, and show _all_ use
w/ -v, please leave it as is -v is way too verbose to see the changes
in a multi-package merge

> Do whatever you what, I've set make.conf:USE=ldap on machines relying
> on it.
> Michael

Mee too, that sum to zero machines tough

Sun May 6 00:30:05 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type;
bh=uhqGkkxyxxfab2tjfND//AVZNToo50bz19iAgzpcSQo=;
b=IFXnMT/so00q+PPvBUYnL4v2+kalPOJjjK3V7IJpgcSLK14q9cz615x9C OUD4nlaAj
q7wf80fj2J3q0bZ7WgX/q1wnzyF0qryknGPiGSmtK4dDZiTX5aTERLwGVTEB+Rt/rKoU
8K/wQNNPvj8N31b5yamkZrxNoSnmM69rCiKI3lToEDf8sV2FzvQxi 8NZXRFIN01nElBh
0JJeVP5/lDxn3ttlvZPyuOmFjHfwnnXRsxMeOTxalLbtdCYS+jT2mx5QBI zr/Mvhoj7+
cODp5naVsLXQDaZIqrwuu144K2ZWAK5NaGXvtcFE1dRCq062uw ouRwu5G8iRJNK7SkpW
JuJg=Received: by 10.152.147.33 with SMTP id th1mr1892292lab.9.1336252975093;
Sat, 05 May 2012 14:22:55 -0700 (PDT)