Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

Default cmake-utils.eclass: set default of CMAKE_VERBOSE=1

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 18:30:10 schrieb hasufell:
> # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
> # Set to enable verbose messages during compilation.
>
> By default this is deactivated which is inconvenient imo and results in
> pastes having minimum information.
> I have to tell users every time to recompile with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 so
> that I have proper information on what is going on.
>
> Are there any arguments against this being default?

I think the resistance against this more has to do with the output being more
esthetically pleasing (yes I know this is not really a good point for us, but
in general the cmake output is quite nice) than with "writing to stdout is
expensive" (which was a joke in the previous thread).

That being said, it probably makes sense to change the default to =1, as it
definitely helps debugging to see the build commands.

@infra:
However, please raise the file size limit for bugzilla then, and if possible,
please fix the use of compressed build logs. Right now, I would not recommend
uploading a compressed log to bugzilla, because:
* I have not found a way to have firefox uncompress and display it correctly
with one click (always have to download, save, ...)
* and often files end up double-compressed, i.e. save log.gz, gunzip, rename
log to log.gz, gunzip

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

Am Samstag 05 Mai 2012, 20:54:09 schrieb Andreas K. Huettel:
> Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 18:30:10 schrieb hasufell:
> > # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
> > # Set to enable verbose messages during compilation.
> >
> > By default this is deactivated which is inconvenient imo and results in
> > pastes having minimum information.
> > I have to tell users every time to recompile with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 so
> > that I have proper information on what is going on.
> >
> > Are there any arguments against this being default?
>
> I think the resistance against this more has to do with the output being
> more esthetically pleasing (yes I know this is not really a good point for
> us, but in general the cmake output is quite nice) than with "writing to
> stdout is expensive" (which was a joke in the previous thread).
>
> That being said, it probably makes sense to change the default to =1, as it
> definitely helps debugging to see the build commands.

I've taken the liberty to change the default in the kde overlay. We'll likely
move this to the main tree with other changes after some testing. Semantics
needed to change a bit; the description now reads:

# @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
# Set to OFF to disable verbose messages during compilation
: ${CMAKE_VERBOSE:=ON}

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer