Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Luca Barbato

Default Chromium bundled code

On 04/05/12 18:02, Greg KH wrote:

> When was the last time dbus crashed on you?

Last time I used with bluez? I think about few months ago, I hadn't time
to debug the issue and I tend not to use stuff I known broken.

I know that's a chicken egg issue =|

I'm not sure if connman hanging randomly is related to dbus or connman
itself, again I hadn't had time to check what's exactly wrong.

> And what would you consider "reliable" enough for "core services"?

No dependency beside libc.

> dbus
> has proven itself over _many_ years to handle all of the issues that
> something like this requires very well. It's a non-trivial thing to
> implement and the authors of it have done a very good job, after
> learning how to do it from other failed attempts at the same thing.

Yet it crashes in some situations. My fault for not helping debugging
them I guess. Again, I had something more interesting to do.

> And what are you going to do when dbus moves into the kernel itself
> (hint, it will be there soon)?

Disabling it if I don't need it, as everybody in the world does disable
the posix message queues?

> How are you going to not use it then?

I guess freebsd is still a supported platform for enlightenment and all
the programs I use.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux

Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Luca Barbato

On 04/05/12 17:59, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 02:52:33PM -0700, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 04/05/12 14:35, Walter Dnes wrote:
>>> What could work is a shim or compatability layer that gets
>>> called, and pre-processes requests and forwards them to mdev.
>>
>> That's my idea =)
>
> and then, look, you have reimplemented udev.

I think that's the whole point of the exercise.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux